Clinical Analysis of Glioma: Anaplastic Astrocytoma and Glioblastoma
There have been many reports on the effects of radiotherapy and chemotherapy and on the factors influencing the prognosis of malignant gliomas [1, 3, 5, 6, 10–12, 15, 17, 18]. The approach of most early investigations was historical [e.g., 3, 17, 18], but in recent years the number of randomized studies reporting on the effects of radiotherapy or chemotherapy has increased [1, 5, 10–12]. Among such studies, some have acknowledged the effectiveness of adjuvant chemotherapy [1, 3, 10, 15, 18], but others report negative findings in this regard [5, 12, 17]. In contrast, there has been some uniformity of opinion concerning the effectiveness of radiotherapy [2, 3, 13, 16, 18, 19]. Among such studies, however, many have reported the effects of adjuvant therapy for a group in which glioblastoma and other anaplastic gliomas were discussed together as a single disease entity [1, 3, 5, 12, 17, 18].
KeywordsMalignant Glioma Total Resection Anaplastic Astrocytoma Glioblastoma Patient Anaplastic Glioma
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Bouchard J, Peirce CB (1960) Radiation therapy in the management of neoplasms of the central nervous system, with a special note in regard to children; twenty years’ experience, 1939–1958. Am J Roentogenol 84: 610–627Google Scholar
- 4.Cox DR (1972) Regression model and life tables. JR Stat Soc (B) 34: 187–200Google Scholar
- 6.Green SB, Byar DP, Walker MD, Pistenmaa DA, Alexander E, Batzdorf U, Brooks WH, Hunt WE, Mealey J, Odom GL, Paoletti P, Ransohoff J, Robertson JT, Selker PG, Shapiro WR, Smith KR, Wilson CB, Strike TA (1983) Comparisons of carmustine, procarbazine, and high-dose methylprednisolone as addition to surgery and radiotherapy for the treatment of malignant gliomas. Cancer Treat Rep 67: 121–132PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 11.Levin VA, Wara WM, Davis RL, Vestnys P, Resser KJ, Vatsko K, Nutik S, Gutin PH, Wilson CB (1985) Phase III comparison of BCNU and the combination of procarbazine, CCNU, and vincristine administered after radiotherapy with hydroxyurea for malignant gliomas. J Neurosurg 63: 218–233PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Nelson DF, Shoenfeld D, Weinstein AS, Nelson JS, Wasserman T, Goodman RL, Carabell S (1983) A randomized comparison of misonidazole sensitized radiotherapy plus BCNU and radiotherapy plus BCNU for treatment of malignant glioma after surgery; preliminary results of and RTOG study. Int J Rad Oncol Biol Phys 9: 1143–1151CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Stage WS, Stein JJ (1974) Treatment of malignant astrocytomas. Am J Roentogenol 120:7–18Google Scholar