There have been many reports in recent years on the effectiveness of combined radiation therapy and chemotherapy in brain tumors, especially malignant gliomas [2, 3,6] and combined radiochemotherapy has become popular. However, although combined therapy accelerates the damage to tumor cells, it also produces deficits in normal tissues and can give rise to acute toxicity due to myelosuppression or gastrointestinal complications. In the present chapter, we report a study of the side effects due to radiation therapy combined with ACNU, FT-207, and PSK (RAFP) therapy.
KeywordsMalignant Glioma Malignant Brain Tumor Male Female Total Severe Myelosuppression Combine Radiochemotherapy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Aoki Y (1984) Radiotherapy combined with OK-432 for medulloblastoma and alleviating action of OK-432 on the myelosuppression in mice induced by whole body body irradiation. Proceedings of Japan Cancer Association, The 43rd Annual Meeting, October 3 (Fukuoka), p 457 (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- 4.Kiga M (1965) Radiological approach in fractionated irradiation. Nippon Acta Radiol 24:1283–1285Google Scholar
- 7.Levin VA, Wara WM, Davis RL, Vestnys P, Resser KJ, Yatsko K, Nutik S, Gutin PH, Wilson CB (1985) Phase III comparison of BCNU and the combination of procarbazine, CCNU, and vincristine administered after radiotherapy with hydroxyurea for malignant gliomas. J Neurosurg 63:218–223PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Phillips GL, Wolf SN, Fay JW (1986) Intensive 1,3-Bis (2-chloroethyl)-l-nitrosourea (BCNU) monochemotherapy and autologous marrow transplantation for malignant glioma. J Clin Oncel 4:639–644Google Scholar
- 10.Saito T, Yokoyama M, Himori T, Ujiie S, Sugawara N, Sugiyama Z, Kitada K (1977) Phase I and phase II study of l-(4-amino-2-methyl-5-pyrimidinyl)methyl-3(2-chloro-ethyl)-3-nitrosourea hydrochloride (ACNU) administered by intermittent dose schedule. Jpn J Cancer Chemother 4:991–1004 (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- 11.Saito Y, Hori T, Takami M, Muraoka K, Hokama Y, Numata H (1983) The study on postoperative local chemotherapy of malignant brain tumors using ACNU and PSK. Jpn J Cancer Chemother 10:1963–1971 (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- 13.Ushio Y, Abe H, Suzuki J, Tanaka R, Kitamura K, Miwa T, Matsutani M, Takeuchi K, Takakura K, Nomura K, Yamamoto S, Kageyama N, Handa H, Mogami H, Matsumoto S, Nishimura A, Uozumi T, Hori T, Mori T, Mori K, Matsukado Y (1985) Evaluation of ACNU alone and combined with Tegaful as additions to radiotherapy for the treatment of malignant gliomas—A cooperative clinical trial. Brain and Nerve 37:999–1006 (in Japanese)PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 14.Walker MD, Alexander E, Hunt WE, MacCarty CS, Mahaley MS Jr, Mealey J Jr, Norrell HA, Owens G, Ransohoff J, Wilson CB, Gehan EA, Strike JA (1978) Evaluation of BCNU and/or radiotherapy in the treatment of anaplastic gliomas. A cooperative clinical trial. J Neurosurg 49:333–343PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Walker MD, Green SB, Byar DP, Alexander, E Jr, Batzorf U, Brooks WH, Hunt WE, MacCarty CS, Mahaley MS Jr, Mealey J Jr, Owens G, Ransohoff J II, Robertson JT, Shapiro WR, Smith KR Jr, Wilson CB, Strike TA (1980) Randomized comparisons of radiotherapy and nitrosoureas for the treatment of malignant glioma after surgery. N Engl J Med 303:1323–1329PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar