Clinical Analysis of Glioma: Ependymoma
Ependymoma is a localized tumor and is known to be a glioma that can be completely resected. However, such tumors are often deep-seated near the ventricles, histologically malignant, or show spinal dissemination; it is not unusual for appropriate therapy to be uncertain and the prognosis poor. The results of a national survey on brain tumors in Japan [2.8] has indicated that the prognosis in ependymoma is not good, with the 5-year survival rate for intracranial ependymoma being 44.5% and that for malignant ependymoma 26.5%.
KeywordsFourth Ventricle Spinal Dissemination Malignant Meningioma Choroid Plexus Papilloma Anaplastic Ependymoma
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Bouchard J, Peirce CB (1960) Radiation therapy in the management of neoplasms of the central nervous system, with a special note in regard to children: twenty years experience, 1939–1958. Am J Roentgenol 84:610–628Google Scholar
- 7.Cox DR (1972) Regression model and life tables. JR Stat Soc (B) 34:187–220Google Scholar
- 8.Cushing H (1932) Intracramial tumors. Notes upon a series of two thusand verified cases with surgical mortality, percentages pertaining thereto. Charles C Thomas, Springfield, IL, p 56Google Scholar
- 13.Katakura R, Ohara H, Sakurai Y (1978) Malignant meningioma following irradiation therapy for ependymoma, a case report. Neurol Surg 6:935–939 (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- 15.Kricheff II, Becker M, Schneck SA, Taveras JM (1964) Intracranial ependymomas: a study of survival in 65 cases treated by surgery and irradiation. Am J Roentogenol 91:167–175Google Scholar
- 17.MeiLiu H, Boggs J, Kidd J (1976) Ependymomas of childhood, child’s Brain 2:92–110Google Scholar
- 19.Oi S, Raimondi AJ (1980) Brain tumors in infants and children—Factors affecting prognosis: I Ependymoma. Neurol Surg 8:1049–1055 (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- 23.Ringertz N, Reymond A (1949) Ependymomas and choroid plexus papillomas. J Neuro-pathol Exp Neurol 8:355–380Google Scholar
- 28.The committee of the brain tumor registry in Japan (1984) Brain tumor registry in Japan, vol. 5. Japanese Ministry of Health and Welfare, TokyoGoogle Scholar