Deafness is a global problem — so is it in the mountainous Kingdom of Nepal. Deafness is a hidden handicap which does not even receive mercy from the others. The finger counting numbers of deaf people seen in the community are just the tip of an iceberg. Secondly all the deafnesses are not of same severity. The impact of hearing loss is more serious in infants and children even at relatively low levels.
KeywordsHearing Loss Hearing Impairment Viral Japanese Encephalitis Chronic Suppurative Otitis Medium Endemic Goiter
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.WHO/CBM Workshop Report on Hearing Aid Services-Need & technology assessment for developing countries, Bensheim, Germany 24 - 26 Nov. 1998Google Scholar
- 2.P. Little, A. Bridges, R.P.S. et al, Nepal’s first Ear survey report, ECHOES Vol. 1:3, Oct. Dec. 1991Google Scholar
- 3.MP Upadhyay; Status of Deafness and Hearing impairment in South East Asia Region, 5th National workshop on ENT; HMG/WHO, 2002.Google Scholar
- 4.A. Smith, WHO Geneva; Epidemiology and Prevention of Deafness & Hearing impairment in developing countries, 5th National workshop on ENT; HMG/WHO 2003.Google Scholar
- 5.RC Amatya; Prevention & Control of Deafness in Nepal; Report on the National Seminar on Hearing Impairment in Children, UNICEF/IOM; 1990.Google Scholar
- 6.Bir Hospital, Dept. of ENT; OPD Audiological records.Google Scholar
- 7.Report of Epidemiological Sample Survey on Prevalence of Ear disease in school going children; HMG/WHO NPCD Program 1995.Google Scholar
- 8.J.A Beg; Bilateral SNHL as a complication of infectious mononucleosis, Archives of otolaryngology 107, 620–622.Google Scholar
- 9.R Bhandari and GS Steinman; Sudden Deafness in Chicken Pox. a case report; Annals of Neurology,13,347Google Scholar
- 10.S. Bitnum, Acute bilateral total deafness complicating mumps; Journal of Laryngology and Otology, 100, 943–45.Google Scholar
- 11.JB. Booth; Sudden and Fluctuent sensory neural Hearing loss; Scott-Brown’s Otoloryngology 3.17.1-82.Google Scholar
- 12.N. Weir, community ear care delivery by community Ear assistants and volunteers; a pilot program; the journal of Laryngology and otology Vol. 115; 869–873; 2001.Google Scholar
- 13.Photographs taken by Mr. Basanta Khadka, Administrative Assistant, HMG/WHO Nepal Prevention and Control of Blindness/Deafness ProgramGoogle Scholar