Assessment of Environmental Plant Stresses Using Multispectral Steady-State Fluorescence Imagery
Early recognition of environmental stress factors that may ultimately result in the loss of productivity is essential for economical assessments of agricultural and forestry practices (Moran et al. 1997). Vast resources and management approaches are implemented to increase plant productivity. Rapid noninvasive assessment methods that can detect deleterious environmental effects on crops during early stages of growth in a timely manner would be of great value. A relatively new active sensing technique available for vegetative monitoring is steady-state fluorescence.
KeywordsFluorescence Emission Blue Fluorescence Soybean Leave Fluorescence Imaging System Charcoal Filter
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chappelle EW, McMurtrey JE, Kim MS (1991) Identification of the pigment responsible for the blue fluorescence band in laser induced fluorescence ( LIF) spectra of green plants, and the potential use of this band in remotely estimating rates of photosynthesis. Remote Sens Environ 36: 213–218CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hagg C, Stober F, Lichtenthaler HK (1992) Pigment content, chlorophyll fluorescence and photosynthetic activity of spruce clones under normal and limited nutrition. Photosynthetica 27 (3): 385–400Google Scholar
- Heisel F, Sowinska M, Miehe JA, et al. (1996) Detection of nutrient deficiencies of maize by laser induced fluorescence imaging J Plant Physiol 148: 622–631Google Scholar
- Hough A, Derwent RG (1990) Changes in the global concentration of tropospheric ozone due to human activities Nature 344: 645–648Google Scholar
- Lang M, Stiffel P, Braunova Z, et al. (1992) Investigation of the blue-green fluorescence emission of plant leaves. Bot Acta 105: 395–468Google Scholar
- Lichtenthaler HK, Stober F, Lang M (1993) Laser-induced fluorescence emission signatures and spectral fluorescence ratios of terrestrial vegetation. Proc Int Geosci Remote Sens Symp (IGARSS)’93: 1317–1320Google Scholar
- Stober F, Lichtenthaler HK (1992) Changes of the laser-induced blue, green and red fluorescence signatures during greening of etiolated leaves of wheat. J Plant Physiol 140: 673–680Google Scholar
- Stober F, Lichtenthaler HK (1993) Studies on the localization and spectral characteristics of the fluorescence emission of differently pigmented wheat leaves. Bot Acta 106: 365–370Google Scholar