Histological Typing and Grading of Adult Soft Tissue Sarcomas: Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (ECOG) Experience and Review of the Literature
Accurate histological typing of soft tissue sarcomas (STS) is a challenging task for pathologists [1–3]. Because of the significant diagnostic discordance among pathologists, the importance of histopathology peer review in the analysis of therapeutic trials has been emphasized [1, 4, 5]. Although the histological grade of malignancy (HGM) is considered to be the most important prognostic indicator, the grading system is highly complex and is not entirely reproducible [1, 6]. This report presents (1) the experience of the ECOG Pathology Review Committee with histological typing and grading of STS, including comparison of the ECOG experience with the other sarcoma study groups, (2) prognostic significance of HGM and various grading systems used by major group studies, and (3) influence of histological type and tumor grade on chemosensitivity of advanced adult STS in the ECOG trial EST 3377 .
KeywordsSoft Tissue Sarcoma Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group Synovial Sarcoma Malignant Fibrous Histiocytoma Soft Tissue Sarcoma
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Enzinger FM, Weiss SW (1988) Soft tissue tumors. C. V. Mosby, St. Louis, pp 10–11Google Scholar
- 4.Baker LH, Benjamin RS (1978) Histologic frequency of disseminated soft tissue sarcomas in adults (abstract). Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 19: 324Google Scholar
- 7.Dahlin DC (1989) Grading of soft tissue sarcomas. In: Ryan JR, Baker LO (eds) Recent concepts in sarcoma treatment. Kluwer, Dordrecht, pp 1–6Google Scholar
- 8.Enzinger FM, Lattes R, Torloni R (1969) Histologic typing of soft tissue tumors: International histological classification of tumors No 3. World Health Organization, GenevaGoogle Scholar
- 10.Suit HD, Russell WO, Martin RG (1975) Sarcoma of soft tissue: Clinical and histopathological parameters and response to treatment. Cancer 35: 1478–1483Google Scholar
- 15.Unnik JAM van, Coindre JM, Contesso G, Albus-Lutter CE, Schiodt T, Miralles TG, Sylvester R, Thomas D, Bramwell V (1988) Grading of soft tissue sarcomas. Experience of the EORTC soft tissue and bone sarcoma group. In: Ryan JR, Baker LO (eds) Recent concepts in sarcoma treatment. Kluwer, Dordrecht, pp 7–13CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Hajdu SI (1986) Differential diagnosis of soft tissue and bone tumors. Lea and Febiger, Philadelphia, p 104Google Scholar
- 23.Xiang JH, Spanier SS, Benson NA, Braylan RC (1987) Flow cytometric analysis of DNA in bone and soft tissue tumors using nuclear suspensions. Cancer 59: 19511958Google Scholar