Prosthetic Replacement for Malignant Bone and Soft Tissue Tumors About the Knee: Radiological Evaluation of Tumor Prosthesis
Limb salvage procedures for primary malignant bone and soft tissue tumors have become widely accepted. Recent advances in diagnostic technology, adjuvant chemotherapy, and radiotherapy have led to improvement in prognosis. Consequently, this longer life-span has increased interest in functional restoration and its durability in affected limbs. Although there are various reconstructive procedures after wide resection, such as arthrodesis, osteoarticular allograft, and prosthetic replacement, each procedure has its advantages and disadvantages, and the best among them has not yet been clearly established. Since 1981, prosthetic replacement has been the procedure of choice at Osaka University Hospital, Osaka, Japan, for limb salvage in cases of malignant bone and soft tissue tumors.
KeywordsSoft Tissue Tumor Tibial Component Limb Salvage Radiolucent Line Medullary Canal
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Dorr LD, Takei GK, Conaty JP (1983) Total hip arthroplasties in patients less than forty-five years old. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 65: 474–479Google Scholar
- 3.Langlais F, Postel M, Aubriot JH, Blanquaert D (1987) The TCG prosthesis system. In: Enneking WF (ed) Limb salvage in musculoskeletal oncology. Churchill Livingstone, New York, pp 88–94Google Scholar
- 6.Scales JT, Sneath RS, Wright KW (1987) Design and clinical use of extending prostheses. In: Enneking WF (ed) Limb salvage in musculoskeletal oncology. Churchill Livingstone, New York, pp 52–61Google Scholar
- 7.Enneking WF (1987) Modification of the system for functional evaluation of surgical management of musculoskeletal tumors. In: Enneking WF (ed) Limb salvage in musculoskeletal oncology. Churchill Livingstone, New York, pp 626–639Google Scholar
- 9.leNobel J, Patterson FP (1981) Guepar total knee prosthesis: Experience at the Vancouver General Hospital. J Bone Joint Surg [Br] 63: 257–260Google Scholar
- 11.Friedlaender GE, Tross RB, Doganis AC, Kirkwood JM, Baron R (1984) Effects of chemotherapeutic agents on hone: I. Short-term methotrexate and Doxorubicin ( Adriamycin) treatment in rat model. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 66: 602–607Google Scholar
- 12.Salzer M, Knahr K, Kotz R, Ramach W (1987) Cementless prosthetic implants for limb salvage of malignant bone tumors of the knee joint: Clinical results of three modes of anchorage. In: Enneking WF (ed) Limb salvage in musculoskeletal oncology. Churchill Livingstone, New York, pp 26–29Google Scholar
- 13.Scales JT, Wait ME (1987) Intramedullary fixation of custom-made prostheses with bone cement. In: Coombs R, Friedlaender G (eds) Bone tumor management. Butterworths, London, pp 123–134Google Scholar