Soft Tissue Reconstruction in Limb-Sparing Tumor Surgery
Limb-sparing surgery for bone and soft tissue sarcomas has become more widespread along with the development of adjuvant therapy and several kinds of imaging techniques for analyzing local tumor extension . This procedure can be indicated for surgical treatment of the tumor, unless a major neurovascular structure is involved by the tumor, although vascular reconstruction may be possible in order to achieve an adequate margin . However, the incision is sometimes too extensive to be closed directly after a particularly wide excision of the tumor and, furthermore, resection of muscles following tumor excision might result in a certain loss of function of the extremity. As a result, soft tissue reconstruction is regarded as the keystone of extending the indication for limb-salvage surgery and achieving favorable use of the extremities. While others have reported the use of pedicle flaps for wound coverage with satisfactory results [3, 4], the authors have been applying micro-surgical tissue transfer for soft tissue reconstruction in limb-sparing tumor surgery. The selection of flaps depends on the size and content of the soft tissue defects. From our experience, the results are encouraging, and a much lower complication rate and better limb function can be expected.
KeywordsSoft Tissue Sarcoma Skin Flap Limb Salvage Malignant Bone Tumor Common Peroneal Nerve
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Tsuchiya K, Motegi M, Iino R, Okajima K, Maruyama Y, Kameda N, Hiruta K (1989) Reconstructive surgery after excision of malignant bone and soft tissue tumor using pedicle myocutaneous flap and fasciocutanoeus flap (in Japanese). Rinsho Seikei Geka 24: 22–29Google Scholar
- 5.Enneking WF (1989) Modification of the system for functional evaluation of surgical management of musculoskeletal tumors. In: Enneking WF (ed) Limb salvage in musculoskeletal oncology. Churchill Livingstone, New York, pp 626–639Google Scholar
- 6.Fujinami S, Matsuoka H, Nishimura T, Sudo A, Shiokawa Y, Ogihara Y (1990) Limb salvage surgery for malignant bone tumors of the extremity (in Japanese). Orthop Surg Traumatol 33: 71–76Google Scholar
- 8.Uchida A, Yoshikawa H, Ueda T, Araki N, Aoki Y, Hamada H, Mimura K, Ono K (1989) Tumor prosthesis in malignant bone tumors of the proximal tibia (in Japanese). Orthopedic Surgery-Seikeigeka 40: 1309–1316Google Scholar
- 13.Doi K, Sakai K, Ihara K, Kaneko K, Kawai S (to be published) Reinnervated free muscle transfer for extremity reconstruction. J Hand SurgGoogle Scholar