Radiation Therapy and Percutaneous Ethanol Injection for the Treatment of Hepatocellular Carcinoma
Most hepatocellular carcinomas (HCCs) develop in a liver with cirrhosis, which is unfavorable for surgical treatment. In the Far East, particularly in Japan, cirrhosis is often advanced at the time of tumor detection. The current choice of therapeutic modality is transcatheter arterial embolization (TAE), which, if properly executed in patients with moderately advanced HCC, significantly prolongs survival (Chap. 25). It does not afford complete cure, however. TAE necrotizes the arterial blood-dependent HCC, but cancer cells remain viable in the periphery of an expanding HCC, the most common gross type, and later cause intrahepatic spread.
KeywordsTumor Thrombus Transcatheter Arterial Embolization Percutaneous Ethanol Injection Hepatic Coma Complete Necrosis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ingold JA, Reed GB, Kaplan HS, Bagshaw MA (1965) Radiation hepatitis. Am J Roentgenol Rad Therapy 93:200–208Google Scholar
- 5.Bhardwaj S, Bruckner HW, Holland JF (1985) Therapy of malignant tumors of the liver. In: Berk JE (ed) Bockus gastroenterology, 4th edn., vol. 5. Saunders, Philadelphia, pp 3388–3397Google Scholar
- 14.Shinagawa T, Ohto M, Kimura K, Tsunetomi S, Morita M, Saisho H, Tsuchiya Y, Saotome N, Karasawa E, Miki M, Ueno T, Okuda K (1984) Diagnosis and clinical features of small hepatocellular carcinoma with emphasis on the utility of real-time ultrasonography. Gastroenterology 86: 495–502PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.Okuda K, Peters RL, Simson IW (1985) Gross anatomic features of hepatocellular carcinoma from three disparate geographic areas. Proposal of new classification. Cancer 54:2164–2173Google Scholar
- 22.Shinagawa T, Ohto M, Kimura K, Tsunetomi S, Norita M, Saisho H, Tsuchiya Y, Saotome N, Karasawa E, Miki M, Ueno T, Okuda K (1984) Diagnosis and clinical features of small hepatocellular carcinoma with emphasis on the utility of real-time ultrasonography. Gastroenterology 86: 495–502PubMedGoogle Scholar