Ultrasonography in the Diagnosis of Hepatic Tumor
Great progress has been made in the diagnosis of space-occupying lesions of the liver with the advent of real-time ultrasonography (US) [1,2]. US is now indispensable in the detection of small lesions such as minute HCC [3–5]. The ultrasonograph has continuously been improved for better resolution and fewer artefacts. The more recent development of the convex-type real-time probe has significantly reduced the dead angle for the linear probe in the right hepatic lobe immediately below the diaphragm. Although large-mass lesions pose no difficulty in US diagnosis, a new problem has arisen with improved resolution of the transducer, namely the differentiation between small HCC and benign hyperplastic nodules [6–8]. In this chapter, we will discuss mainly US diagnosis of hepatic mass lesions and its significance in the clinical setting.
KeywordsHepatic Tumor Tumor Thrombus Cavernous Hemangioma Hyperplastic Nodule Acoustic Shadow
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Shinagawa T, Ohto M, Kimura K, Tsunetomi S, Morita M, Saisho H, Tsuchiya Y, Saotome N, Karasawa E, Miki M, Ueno T, Okuda K (1984) Diagnosis and clinical features of small hepatocellular carcinoma with emphasis on the utility of real-time ultrasonography. Gastroenterology 86: 495–502PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 4.Ebara M, Ohto M, Shinagawa T, Sugiura N, Kimura K, Matsutani S, Morita M, Saisho H, Tsuchiya Y, Okuda K (1986) Natural history of minute hepatocellular carcinoma smaller than three centimeters complicating cirrhosis. A study in 22 patients. Gastoroenterology 90:289–298Google Scholar
- 9.Ohto M, Ono T, Tsuchiya Y, Saisho H, Kimura K (1985) Ultrasound diagnosis in gastroenterology. Igaku-shoin, TokyoGoogle Scholar
- 10.Sugiura N, Ohto M, Kimura K, Ebara M, Okuda K (1986) Imaging diagnosis of portal tumor thrombosis and its pathophysiology in hepatocellular carcinoma. Jpn J Gastroenterol 83:2151–2160Google Scholar
- 11.Okuda K, Musha H, Nakajima Y, Kubo Y, Shimokawa Y, Nagasaki Y, Sawa Y, Jinnouchi S, Kaneko T, Obata H, Hisamitsu T, Motoike Y, Okazaki M, Sakamoto K, Nakashima T (1977) Clinicopathological features of encapsulated hepatocellular carcinoma. A study of 26 cases. Cancer 40:1240–1245PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Shinagawa T, Ohto M, Kimura K, Matsutani S, Kimura M, Unozawa T, Ukaji H, Tsunetomi S, Nakano T, Morita M, Saisho H, Tsuchiya Y, Ono T, Okuda K (1981) Ultrasonographic features of hepatocellular carcinoma. Correlation with histopathology. Jpn J Gastroenterol 78:2402–2410Google Scholar