Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplants from Unrelated Donors
Further improvements in the safety and efficacy of unrelated donor transplants can be expected with better GVHD prevention and facilitation of tolerance induction. New approaches such as selected depletion of distinct T cell subsets, use of purified stem cells and novel forms of immune modulation using biologicals and other engineered molecules are promising, but additional preclinical and appropriate clinical trials must be undertaken before the full potential benefits as well as limitations of these new approaches are known.
KeywordsChronic Myeloid Leukemia Acute GVHD Chronic GVHD Unrelated Donor Mixed Lymphocyte Culture
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Anasetti C, Amos D, Beatty PG, Appelbaum FR, Bensinger W, Buckner CD, Clift R, Doney K, Martin PJ, Mickelson E, Nisperos BN, O’Quigley J, Ramberg R, Sanders JE, Stewart P, Storb R, Sullivan KM, Witherspoon RP, Thomas ED, Hansen JA: Effect of HLA compatibility on engraftment of bone marrow transplants in patients with leukemia or lymphoma. N. Engl. J. Med. 320: 197–204, 1989.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Anasetti C, Hansen J: Bone marrow transplantation from HLA-partially matched related donors and unrelated volunteer donors. In: Forman SJ, Blume KG, Thomas ED (eds) Bone Marrow Transplantation. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Cambridge, MA, pp. 665–679, 1993Google Scholar
- 9.Stroncek, D.F., Holland, P.V., Bartch, G., Bixby, T., Simmons, R.G., Antin, J.H., Anderson, K.C., Ash, R.C., Bolwell, B.J., Hansen JA, Heal, J.M., Henslee-Downey, P.J., Jaffé, E.R., Klein, H.G., Lau, P.M., Perkins, H.A., Popovsky, M.A., Price, T.H., Rowley, S.D., Stehling, L.C., Weiden PL, Wissel, M.E., McCullough, J.: Experiences of the first 493 unrelated marrow donors in the National Marrow Donor Program. Blood 81: 1940–1946, 1993.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 12.Petersdorf EW, Smith AG, Mickelson EM, Longton G, Anasetti C, Choo YC, Martin PJ, Hansen JA: The influence of HLA-DPB 1 disparity on the development of acute graft-versus-host disease following unrelated donor marrow transplantation. Trans Proc 25: 1230–1231, 1993.Google Scholar
- 13.Mickelson EM, Longton G, Anasetti C, Petersdorf E, Martin PJ, Guthrie LA, Hansen JA: Evaluation of the mixed lymphocyte culture (MLC) assay as a method for selecting unrelated donors for marrow transplantation. (in press, Tissue Antigens 7/95).Google Scholar
- 17.Petersdorf EW, Longton G, Anasetti C, Smith AG, McKinney S, Martin PJ, Hansen JA: Donor-recipient disparity for HLA-C genes is a risk factor for graft failure following marrow transplantation from unrelated donors. Blood 86: 291a, 1995.Google Scholar
- 19.Sierra J, Storer B, Hansen J, Martin P, Petersdorf E, Appelbaum E, Buckner D, Sale G, Sanders J, Anasetti: Unrelated donor marrow transplants for acute leukemia. Blood 86: 290a, 1995.Google Scholar