Results of Ultra-Early Surgery on Intracranial Aneurysms by the Sendai Group of Neurosurgeons
Since the early 1970s, we have been advocating ultra-early surgery for ruptured cerebral aneurysms, and have reported on its therapeutic effectiveness [8, 11]. In 1985, however, Nishimoto, et al. reported  that the surgical results in ruptured cerebral aneurysm cases from various neurosurgical clinics in Japan were quite poor when the operation was performed within 48 h of onset. Even for relatively mild grades I and II cases, the mortality was said to be 26.6%, and it was notably poor for more severe cases: 35.6% in grade III, 55.2% in grade IV, and 79.1% in grade V cases. We are consequently concerned that such results using early stage surgery can only have caused a complete loss of confidence in this procedure in the West.
KeywordsSubarachnoid Space Intracranial Aneurysm Cerebral Spinal Fluid Cerebral Aneurysm Cerebral Vasospasm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Abiko H, Suzuki J, Mizoi K, Ohba M, Yoshimoto T (1986) Protective effect of phenytoin and its enhanced action by combined administration of mannitol and Vitamin E in cerebral ischemia. Brain Nerve (Jpn) 38:328–335Google Scholar
- 2.Ishibashi Y, Konda R, Yoshimoto T, et al. (1984) The effect of prazosin hydrochloride on cerebral vasospasm—an experimental study. No Shinkei Geka 23:133–139 (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- 3.Kodama N, Hori S, Kamiyama K, et al. (1980) Cervical sympathectomy for cerebral vasospasm after aneurysm rupture. In: Wilkins RH (ed) Cerebral arterial spasm. Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore, pp 680–684Google Scholar
- 7.Suzuki J, Yoshimoto T (1978) Indication and timing in the surgery of ruptured cerebral aneurysm. Phronesis 36:34–48Google Scholar
- 9.Suzuki J, Kodama N, Homma M (1979) New clip and flexible clip forceps for neurosurgery. In: Suzuki J (ed) Cerebral aneurysms. Neuron, Tokyo, pp 386–388Google Scholar
- 13.Yoshimoto T, Suzuki J (1979) Temporary clipping—prolongation of the time of occlusion by mannitol. In: Pia HW, Langmaid C, Zierski J (eds) Cerebral aneurysms, Springer, Berlin, pp 382–392Google Scholar