Management of Patients with Ruptured Cerebral Aneurysms
As the recent international cooperative aneurysm study again shows the old problems of aneurysm surgery are the same as the present problems. Who should be operated upon? Who should be operated upon early and who should undergo delayed operation? Is rebleeding really a significant problem influencing prognosis and, hence, worth consideration in the timing of surgery? Does early rebleeding really exist and thus justify acute management of patients after subarachnoid bleeding? Is delayed ischemia from vasospasm really a significant problem or are these patients a hidden pool of surgical complications?
KeywordsIntracranial Aneurysm Unfavorable Outcome Cerebral Aneurysm Acute Management Aneurysm Surgery
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Allen GS, Ahn HS, Preziosi TJ, Battye R, Boone SC, Chou SN, Kelly DL, Weir BK, Crabbe RA, Lavik PJ, Rosenbloom SB, Dorsey SC, Intram CR, Mellits VE, Bertsch LA, Voisyert DPJ, Huntley MB, Johnson RK, Strom JA, Transou CR (1983) Cerebral arterial spasm: A controlled trial of nimodipine in patients with subarachnoid hemorrhage. N Engl J Med 308:619–624PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Auer LM (1985) Timing of aneurysm surgery. Second International Symposium on Cerebral Aneurysm Surgery in the Acute Stage, 1984, Graz. Gruyter, BerlinGoogle Scholar
- 4.Auer LM (1986) Management of patients with subarachnoid hemorrhage from ruptured cerebral aneurysms: What remains to be done? 1st International Workshop on Intracranial Aneurysms, 1986, TokyoGoogle Scholar
- 6.Auer LM, Heppner F, Symon L (1982) Aneurysm surgery in the acute stage. First International Symposium on Cerebral Aneurysm Surgery in the Acute Stage, 1981, Graz. Acta Neurochir 63:1–306 Springer, ViennaGoogle Scholar
- 7.Kassell N (1986) Timing of surgery: Results in cooperative aneurysm study. First International Workshop on Intracranial Aneurysms, 1986, TokyoGoogle Scholar
- 11.Mee EW, Dorrance DE, Low D, Neil-Dwyer G (1986) Cerebral blood flow and neurological outcome: A controlled study of nimodipine in patients with subarachnoid hemorrhage. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 49:469Google Scholar
- 12.Ono H, Mizukami M, Kitamura K, Kikuchi H, and the Cooperative Study Group in Japan (1983) Preventive effect of ticlopidine on cerebral ischemia due to cerebral vasospasm following ruptured aneurysm: A double-blind cooperative study. 52nd Annual Meeting of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons, 24–28 April 1983, Washington, DCGoogle Scholar
- 16.Taneda M (1982) The significance of early operation in the management of ruptured intracranial aneurysms: An analysis of 251 cases hospitalized within 24 hours after subarachnoid haemorrhage. In: Auer LM, Heppner F, Symon L (eds) Proceedings of the symposium on aneurysm surgery in the acute stage. Acta Neurochir 63:201–208Google Scholar