Water Leak Tests of Ferrocement in Tension
Water tightness comes up as an important problem for water retaining structures. Watertight crack width is considered to be one of the limit states on design and inspection for use. In this paper, water leak tests in tension were carried out on ferrocement plates. The leak stress, the crack width at each water leaking stage and failure, and the crack spacing were observed experimentally.
KeywordsCrack Width Crack Spacing Ultimate Tensile Stress Mesh Opening Naval Architect
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Walkus, B.R.: The behaviour of ferrocement in bending. Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 3, No. 3, (Oct. 1975) pp. 113–125.Google Scholar
- 2.Guerra, A.J.; Naaman, A.E. and Shah, S.P.: Ferrocement Cylindrical Tanks; Cracking and Leakage Behavior, ACI Journal Proceedings, Vol. 75, No.1, ( Jan. 1978 ) pp. 22–30.Google Scholar
- 3.Endo, H.; Matsuoka, K.; Naoi, T. and Nagasawa, H.: Transverse Strength of Ferrocement Boats. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Japan, Vol.148,(Dec.1980)pp.303–311.Google Scholar
- 4.Ravindrarajah, R.S. and Tam, C.T.: Watertightness in Ferrocement. Jounal of Ferrocement, Vol.14, No.1, ( Jan. 1984 ) pp. 11–20.Google Scholar
- 5.Naaman, A.E.: Design Predictions of Crack Width in Ferrocement, Ferrocement-Materials and Applications, ACI, SP-61, (1979) PP.25–42.Google Scholar
- 6.Kobayashi, Y.: Tensile and Leakage Properties of Ferrocement Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Japan, Vol.153 (June, 1983 ) pp. 386–395.Google Scholar
- 7.Naaman, A.E. and Shah, S.P.: Tensile Tests of Ferrocement. ACI Journal, Proceedings, Vol. 68, No. 9, (Sep.1971) pp. 693–698.Google Scholar
- 9.Kobayashi, Y.: On the Bond Strength of Low Carbon Steel Wire and Mortar — Application to Tensile Strength of Ferrocement. Abstract Note of the 41th General Meeting of Ship Research Institute, Ministry of Transport, (May, 1983 ) pp. 42–46.Google Scholar