Sensitivity of the Kuwait Coastal Environment to Potential Oil Spill Impact
Planning for oil spills is becoming a necessity for most of the coastal areas of Kuwait. The important part of planning is the protection of those coastal environments most likely to be seriously damaged by oil contamination in the event of a spill. Based on a reconnaissance field study conducted during May, 1983, the coastal area of Kuwait was subdivided into 10 geomorphic classes each with characteristic morphological and sedimentological features. The relative sensitivity index (RSI), was employed to rate the various geomorphic classes in terms of their sensitivity to potential oil spill damage. A sensitivity map was then developed on which the various coasts of Kuwait were ranked according to their relative sensitivity. Areas with RSI values between 16 and 21 are most likely to be adversely affected by oil spills and should receive priority protection and clean-up countermeasures while areas with RSI values from 4 to 5 are likely to be least affected by oil spills.
KeywordsTidal Flat Vulnerability Index Oyster Reef Shoreline Type Commercial Feature
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hayes, M.O.: Preliminary investigations of coastal processes and geology of Kuwait city waterfront. Unpublished technical report, Kuwait Municipality (1977)Google Scholar
- 2.Pickett, R.L.; Partridge, R.M.; Arnone, R.A.; Gait, J.A. The Persian Gulf, Oil natural circulation. Sea Technology (1984) 23–25.Google Scholar
- 3.Khalaf, F.I.: Intertidal flat sediments of Kuwait, preliminary sedimento- logical, textural and mineralogical investigation. A technical report No. KISR/PPI 039/EES-RR-R 7804. Kuwait Institute for Scientific Research, Kuwait, 1978.Google Scholar
- 4.A1-Abdul Razzaq, S.; Khalaf, F.; Al-Bakri, D.H.; Shublaq, W.; Al-Sheikh, Z.; Kittaneh, W.; Al-Ghadban, A.; and Al-Saleh, S.: Marine sedimentology and benthic ecology of Kuwait marine environment. A technical report, Kuwait Institute for Scientific Research, Kuwait, KISR No. 694. 1981.Google Scholar
- 5.Gundlach, E.R.; Hayes, M.O.: Vulnerability of coastal environments to oil spill impacts. Marine Technology Society Journal. Vol. 12, No. 4 (1978) 18–27Google Scholar
- 7.Lindgren, K.; Norrby, S. Oil and chemical pollution from ships. Min. of Argric., Stockholm, (1980) 201.Google Scholar
- 9.Berne, S.; Marchand, M. amd D’ozouville, L. Pollution of seawater and marine sediments ion coastal area. AMBIO, Vol. 9, No. 6 (1980) 287–293Google Scholar