A New Model for a Prediction of Beach Deformation around a River Mouth
In order to predict a beach deformation in a region where a sediment discharged from a river mouth or an on-offshore sediment movement plays an important role, it is generally inadequate to apply a one(sing1e)-line theory.
In this paper, a new three dimensional beach deformation model is proposed. In the model, the change of water depth is expressed by the spatial gradient of the bed load flux and the net vertical sediment flux, therefore it becomes very important to accurately evaluate external forces which cause sediment movements and the limit of suspension.
The applicability of this model was tested by three dimensional experiments with a movable bed, then the authors applied this model to predict a beach deformation which will take place in the field after construction of the large reclamation near a river mouth.
KeywordsWave Height Sediment Transport Suspended Sediment River Mouth Depth Change
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Farmer, R.C.; Waldrop, W.R.: A model for sediment transport and delta formation. A.S.C. E. Coastal Sediment’ 77 (1977) 107–115.Google Scholar
- 3.Ozsoy, E.: Suspended sediment transport near tidal inlets. A.S.C. E. Coastal Sediment’ 77 (1977) 914–926.Google Scholar
- 4.Ashida, K.; Okabe, T.; Fujita, M.: Threshold condition of particle suspension and the concentration of suspended sediments at a reference level. Dis. Pre. Res. Inst. Annual No. 25. B-2. Kyoto Univ. (1982) 401–416. (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- 5.Deguchi, I.;Sawaragi, T.: Calculation of the rate of net on-offshore sediment transport on the basis of flux concept. Proc. 17th Conf. Coastal Eng. (1984) in press.Google Scholar
- 6.Murray, S.P.: Simulation of horizontal turbulent diffusion of particle under waves. Proc. 10th Conf. Coastal Eng. (1968) 446–466.Google Scholar
- 7.Madsen, O.S.; Grant, M.D.: Quantitative discription of sediment transport by waves. Proc. 15th Conf. Coastal Eng. (1976)Google Scholar
- 8.Goda, Y.: A Synthesis of breaker indices. Proc. J.S.C.E. No. 18 (1970) 339–349.Google Scholar
- 9.Iwagaki, Y.; Mase, H.; Tanaka, G.: Wave height change of random waves in shallow water. Dis. Pre. Res. Inst. Annual No. 25. B-2. Kyoto Univ. (1981) 509–523. (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- 10.Sawaragi, T.; Jongsup, L.; Deguchi, I.: A study about near shore currents and three dimensional beach deformation model near a river mouth. Proc. 31th Conf. Coastal Eng. (1984) 411–415. (in Japanese)Google Scholar