Long-Term Prediction Model of Phosphorus in Bed Material
A numerical model is developed on the bottom phosphorus behaviors which are closely related with internal production of marine organics. The variation of O-P settling rate and dissolved oxygen are assumed by the record from 1880 to 1983. T-P and I-P in the sediment, PO4-P in interstitial water, and PO4-P release rate from sediment surface are simulated to the natural values in a specific point. According to the simulation result, PO4-P release rate slightly exceeds observed values in summer times, but the seasonal variation and the annual release rate of PO4-P display agreeable values with the observed. Furthermore, T-P and O-P concentrations of the sediment, and interstitial PO4-P approach to an asymptotic value to observed values. This model is expected to offer powerful means for the long-term prediction of phosphorus or the estimation of sediment treatment works.
KeywordsRelease Rate Accumulation Rate Settling Rate Dispersion Coefficient Interstitial Water
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Matsumoto,E and Yokota,S: Accumulation rate and heavy metal pollution in Osaka Bay sediments(J), Journal of oceanographical Society of Japan, Vol. 18, No. 2 (1981) 108–115.Google Scholar
- 2.Kikuchi,T; Benthos activity with special reference to bioturbation, Bulletine on Coastal Oceanography(J), Vol. 18, No. 2 (1981) 66–77.Google Scholar
- 3.Kadokai,S and Noriki,S; Oceanographical Chemistry(j), Sangyo Tosyo Pub. Ins., (1983).Google Scholar
- 4.Horie,T and Hosokawa,Y; Water-quality controlling factors in an eutrophication model, the Report of the Port and Harbour Resarch Institute, Vol. 22,No. 3 (1983) 159–205.Google Scholar
- 5.Horie,T and Hosokawa,Y; Mathematical model for the prediction of phosphorus release, the Report of the Port and Harbour Research Institute, Vol.24, No.1 (1985).Google Scholar