Staging of Esophageal Cancer—Preoperative Prediction of LN-Metastases
The therapeutic decision in esophageal cancer is decisively influenced by the preoperative staging especially the depth of wall infiltration of the primary tumor, lymph node metastases, and localization. Recent reports have clearly pointed out that radical lymphadenectomy is able to contribute to an improvement of prognosis especially in patients with early stages of lymph node metastases. In patients with an advanced stage of metastases, however, no improvement of survival can be effected by lymphadenectomy . In addition, the radicality of lymphadenectomy also influences postoperative mortality and especially morbidity [2–4].
KeywordsEsophageal Cancer Preoperative Staging Radical Lymphadenectomy Preoperative Radiochemotherapy Cervical Lymph Node Dissection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Kato H, Watanabe H, Tachimori Y, Iizuka T (1991) Evaluation of neck lymph node dissection for thoracic esophageal carcinoma Ann Thorac Surg. 51 (6): 931–524Google Scholar
- 4.Skinner DB (1991) Cervical lymph node dissection for thoracic esophageal cancer Ann Thorac Surg. 51 (6): 884–885Google Scholar
- 7.Ziegler K, Sanft C, Zeitz M, Friedrich M, Stein H, Haring R, Riecken EO (1991) Evaluation of endosonography in TN staging of esophageal cancer GUT. 32 (1): 16–20Google Scholar
- 8.Puppe F (1990) Problemlösungsmethoden in Expertensystemen. Springer, Berlin Heidelberg, pp 200–228Google Scholar
- 9.Fletcher RH, Fletcher SW, Wagner EH (1988) Clinical epidemiology—the essentials. Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore, pp 49–57Google Scholar
- 11.Cox DR (1972) Regression models and life tables. J Roy Statis Soc 34 (Series B): 187–220Google Scholar
- 15.Maesawa C, Tamura G, Monma N, Satodate R, Ishida K, Saito K (1991) Nuclear morphometric and DNA-content analysis of cancer cells in superficial esophageal cancer with reference to lymphynode metastases Nippon Geka Gakkai Zasshi 92 (7): 807–12Google Scholar
- 16.Nakamura T, Nekarda H, Becker K, Bollschweiler E, Hölscher AH, Siewert JR. Prognostic value of DNA ploidy and c-erb B-2 expression in adenocarcinoma of Barrett’s esophagus.Google Scholar