A Study on the Mode of Recurrence in Cases with Esophagectomy and Extensive Lymph Node Dissections
In cases with thoracic esophageal cancer, postoperative recurrence at the posterior mediastinum and the neck are frequently observed as well as metastasis in distant organs. Extensive lymph node dissection procedures have been developed and applied in cases of thoracic esophageal cancer for these 8 years in Japan, with the expectation that a decrease in the rate of recurrence in the neck and the mediastinum would occur. In this paper, the rate and mode of recurrence among patients with thoracic esophageal cancer who underwent esophagectomy with extensive lymph node dissection at our hospital were studied. It was expected that the results would yield improved indications and postoperative care of this type of patient.
KeywordsEsophageal Cancer Esophageal Carcinoma Muscularis Propria Posterior Mediastinum Invasion Lymphatic Vessel
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Iizuka T, Isono K, Kakegawa T, Watanabe (1989) Paramaters linked to 10-year survival in Japan of resected esophageal carcinoma. Chest 960: 1005–1011Google Scholar
- 5.Perachia A, Roul A, Baldini R, Segalin C, Castro C, Asolati M (1992) Lymph node dissection for cancer of the thoracic esophagus: How extensive should it be? Analysis of personal data and review of the literature. In: Diseases of the esophagus. Masson, Milano, pp 69–73Google Scholar
- 6.Yoshida M, Muroi M, Iwatuka M (1988) Esophagectomy with extensive lymph node sissection for esophageal carcinoma. Its availability and complications. In: Proceedings of the 4th Congress of the Japanese Section of the ISDE, TokyoGoogle Scholar
- 7.Momma K, Yosida M, Sakaki H, Tajima T, Iwasaki Y, Takizawa T (1992) Endoscopic estimation of the depth of invasion in surperficial esophageal cancer. Stomach and Intestine 27 (2): 157–173Google Scholar
- 8.Siewert JR, Roder JD (1992) Lymphadenectomy in esophageal cancer surgery. In: Diseses of the esophagus. Masson, Milano, pp 91–98Google Scholar
- 9.Desai PB, Deshpande RK, Patil PK, Mistry RC (1992) Radical lymphadenectomy in esophageal cancer. Does it improve survival? In: Diseases of the esophagus. Masson, Milano, pp 92–99Google Scholar