Advanced Interaction, Multi-Media and Visualization — The Enabling Computer Graphics Techniques for Computer-Based Distant Education and Industrial Training
The basic architecture for computer-based systems to be used for Distant Education and Industrial Training will be developed; the related basic functional needs, the open issues and the solutions proposed will be described.
The role of Computer Graphics techniques – like Advanced Interaction, multi-media and Visualization – as tools to implement such systems, as well as to deliver and operate educational and training services will be detailed. Based on an ongoing R&D project, called DEDICATED (DEvelopment of a new DImension in Computer-Aided Teaching and EDucation) first results and experiences related to the development of such systems will be addressed from a system and software engineering point of view. The fundamental impact of Computer Graphics as the enabling technology for this type of systems and applications will be justified and detailed. DEDICATED is a R&D project sponsored by the European Community within its DELTA (Development of European Learning through Technological Advance). DEDICATED partners come from 12 institutions located in four countries (France, Germany, Greece and Portugal).
KeywordsComputer Graphic Learning Material Support Layer Virtual Component Industrial Training
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Commission of the European Communities DGXIII(1991) R&D on Telematic Systems in Flexible and Distance Learning. DELTA 91 WorkplanGoogle Scholar
- Commission of the European Communities DGXIII (1990) Operation 1992 - Investigation of Requirements and Options in the Field of Technology-based Learning. Consolidation of Results.Google Scholar
- Encarnação J., Günther M., Hornung c., Knierriem A, Kuhlmann H. (1990) DEDICATED – A Conceptual Framework. GRIS-Bericht 90–10, Forschungs- und Arbeitsbericht der TH Darmstadt Fachbereich Informatik des Fachgebietes Graphisch-Interaktive Systeme, DarmstadtGoogle Scholar
- Encarnação J., Günther M., Hornung C., Knierriem A, Kuhlmann H. (1991) DEDICATED - Development of a new Dimension in European Computer-Aided Teaching and Education. In: Telematic Networks for Flexible and Distance Learning (Electronic Universities) - A Report from the DELTA Workshop, Commission of the European Communities DGXIIIGoogle Scholar
- Hornung C. (1991) Cooperative Learning Using Hypermedia the Impact of Computer Graphics in Education. In: IFIP WG 5.10; Working Conference Barcelona 1991 (to be published with Springer-Verlag)Google Scholar