Percutaneous ethanol injection for patients with small hepatocellular carcinoma
Hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) arises in patients with chronic liver diseases, particularly in those with liver cirrhosis, at a rate of more than 80% in Japan [1, 2]. Because of periodic examinations with ultrasonography (US) [3, 4] and serum alpha-fetoprotein (AFP) measurement [5, 6] in high-risk patients with liver cirrhosis or chronic hepatitis, a large number of small HCC, often smaller than 2cm, have been diagnosed during follow-up of such patients.
KeywordsLiver Cirrhosis Primary Liver Cancer Percutaneous Ethanol Injection Small Hepatocellular Carcinoma Poor Liver Function
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Shinagawa T, Ohto M, Kimura K, Tsunetomi S, Morita M, Saisho H, Tsuchiya Y, Saotome N, Karasawa E, Miki M, Ueno T, Okuda K (1984) Diagnosis and clinical features of small hepatocellular carcinoma with emphasis on the utility of real-time ultrasonography: A study in 51 patients. Gastroenterology 86: 495–502PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 5.Okuda K, Kotoda K, Obata H, Hayashi N, Hisamitsu T, Tamiya M, Kubo Y, Yakushiji F, Nagata E, Jinnouchi S, Shimokawa Y (1975) Clinical observation during a relatively early stage of hepatocellular carcinoma with special reference to serum alpha-fetoprotein levels. Gastroenterology 69: 116–134Google Scholar
- 8.Takayasu K, Muramatsu Y, Moriyama N, Yamada T, Hasegawa H, Okazaki N, Hirohashi S, Tsugane S (1987) Clinico-radiological evaluation of recurrence in the residual liver following hepatectomy in 97 patients with hepatocellular carcinoma. Jpn J Gastroenterol 84: 1424–1432Google Scholar
- 11.Sugiura N, Takara K, Ohto M, Okuda K, Hirooka N (1983) Treatment of small hepatocellular carcinoma by percutaneous injection of ethanol into tumor with real-time ultrasound monitoring. Acta Hepatol Jpn 24: 920Google Scholar
- 12.Ohto M, Ebara M, Watanabe Y, Sugiura N, Shinagawa T, Okuda K (1988) Percutaneous ethanol injection (PEI) therapy for small hepatocellular carcinoma: Evaluation of its utility on the basis of tumor-images and survival after therapy. Japanese J of Medical Imag 7: 25Google Scholar
- 18.Ebara M, Ohto M, Kondo F (1989) Strategy for early diagnosis of hepatocellular carcinoma ( HCC ). Ann Acad Med 18: 83–89Google Scholar
- 21.Child CG, Turcotte JG (1964) Surgery and portal hypertension. In: Child CG (ed) The liver and portal hypertension. WB Saunders, Philadelphia 50Google Scholar