Hepatic angiography in hepatocellular carcinoma: status among modern imaging modalities and its role as a further examination
With the advent of various sectional imaging modalities such as ultrasonography (US), computed tomography (CT) and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), the role of hepatic angiography, or hepatic arteriography, has changed. Previously, it was merely a way to diagnose liver tumors and to obtain a vascular map for surgery, but it has since become a more precise method of diagnosis which is often combined with CT and other modalities to manage hepatic malignancies [1–4].
KeywordsTumor Thrombus Small Hepatocellular Carcinoma Adenomatous Hyperplasia Atypical Adenomatous Hyperplasia Hepatic Arteriography
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Moriyama N (1980) Angiographic computed tomography (in Japanese). Gan No Rinsho 26: 1037–1040Google Scholar
- 16.Takayasu K, Suzuki M, Uesaka K, Muramatsu Y, Moriyama N, Yoshida T, Yoshino M, Okazaki N, Hasegawa H (1989) Hepatic artery embolization for inoperable hepatocellular carcinoma: Prognosis and risk factors. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 23 (Suppl): S123–S125Google Scholar
- 17.Takayasu K, Muramatsu Y, Moriyama N, Hasegawa H, Makuuchi M, Okazaki N, Hirohashi S, Tsugane S (1989) Clinical and radiologic assessments of the results of hepatectomy for small hepatocellular carcinoma and therapeutic arterial embolization for postoperative recurrence. Cancer 64: 1848–1852PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.Kido C, Sasaki T, Kaneko M (1971) Angiography of primary liver cancer. AJR 113: 70–81Google Scholar
- 25.Okuda K, Obata H, Jinnouchi S, Kubo Y, Nagasaki Y, Shimokawa Y, Motoike Y, Muto H, Nakajima Y, Musha H, Yamazaki T, Sakamoto K, Kojiro M, Nakashima T (1977) Angiographic assessment of gross anatomy of hepatocellular carcinoma: Comparison of celiac angiograms and liver pathology in 100 cases. Radiology 123: 21–29PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 26.Okuda K, Musha H, Yoshida T, Kanda Y, Yamazaki T, Jinnouchi S, Moriyama M, Kawaguchi S, Kubo Y, Shimokawa Y, Kojiro M, Kuratomi S, Sakamoto K, Nakashima T (1975) Demonstration of growing casts of hepatocellular carcinoma in the portal vein by celiac angiography: The thread and streaks sign. Radiology 117: 303–309PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 27.Shinagawa T, Ohto M, Kimura K, Tsunetomi S, Morita M, Saisho H, Tsuchiya Y, Saotome N, Karasawa E, Miki M, Ueno T, Okuda K (1984) Diagnosis and clinical features of small hepatocellular carcinoma with emphasis on the utility of real-time ultrasonography: A study in 51 patients. Gastroenterology 86: 495–502PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 32.Kanematsu T, Sugimachi K, Inokuchi K (1984) A hepatic unit at high risk for primary hepatocellular carcinoma. IRCS Med Sci 12: 721Google Scholar