A Possible Mechanism for Generation of Linear Lightning Flashes
In spite of a long history of careful studies in linear lightning and the large number of publications dealing with it, it has not been clarified how the stepped leader is initiated, forms and propagates, as well as how lightning collects electric charge from individual drops in a thunderstorm cloud.
KeywordsCorona Discharge Plasma Region Positive Column Return Stroke Lightning Flash
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.A.I.Grigoryev and 0.A.Senkevich. On the mechanism of instability developing in a fluid drop in an electric field. Izv. Acad.Sci.USSR, Mekhanika zhidkostiigaza, 1985, No. 6, p. 10–15.Google Scholar
- 3.A.I.Grigoryev. On the explanation of the phenomenon of the Kuril light1986, No. 5, p. 67–75.Google Scholar
- 4.A.I.Grigoryev and S.0.Shiryaeva. Parameters of electrostatic fluid pulverization. Izv.Acad.Sci.USSR, Mekhanika zhidkostiigaza, 1988, No. 2, p. 5–13.Google Scholar
- 5.V.A.Dyachuk and V.M.Muchnik. Corona discharge of water- covered hail pellets as the principal mechanism of lightning flash initiation. Doklady Acad.Sci.USSR, 1979, v. 248, No. 1, p. 60–63.Google Scholar
- 6.S.F.Balandin, Yu.D.Kopytin, I.A.Tikhomirob et al. Long- lived aerosol plasma initiated by the radiation of an impulsive CO laser. Zhurnal tekhnicheskoi fiziki, 1988, v. 58, No. 2, p. 324–327.Google Scholar