Chromosomal Mapping of the Placental Glutathione S-Transferase Gene and Its Expression in Livers of LEC Rats
The LEC strain rat is a new mutant which suddenly suffers from fulminant hepatitis at about 4 months of age [1, 2]. A crossing test of LEC rats showed that the hepatitis has an autosomal recessive mode of inheritance ruled by a single gene designated hts . About 30% of the animals died of the disease within 1 week after onset. The remaining 70% survived with chronic hepatitis for more than 1 year and developed well-differentiated hepatocellular carcinomas (hepatomas) together with cholangiofibrosis at a remarkably high incidence . Therefore, it is important to clarify what are the characteristics of hepatic lesions in LEC rats.
KeywordsChronic Hepatitis Hepatic Lesion Fulminant Hepatitis Autosomal Recessive Mode Chemical Hepatocarcinogenesis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Sasaki M, Yoshida MC, Kagami K, Takeichi N, Kobayashi H, Dempo K, Mori M (1985) Spontaneous hepatitis in an inbred strain of Long-Evans rats. Rat News Lett 14:4–6.Google Scholar
- 6.Sato K, Kitahara A, Satoh K, Ishikawa T, Tatematsu M, Ito N (1984) The placental form of glutathione S-transferase as a new marker protein for preneoplasia in rat chemical hepatocarcinogenesis. Jpn J Cancer Res 75:199–202.Google Scholar