Differential Expression of Mn- and Cu,Zn-Superoxide Dismutases in Various Tissues of LEC Rats
Oxy-radicals are thought to play important roles in the course of multistep carcinogenesis [1–3]. Accurate detection of oxy-radicals is impossible, however, because of their instability and short half-life. Therefore, evaluation of the levels of enzymes involved in the metabolism of oxy-radicals appears to be the most reliable means of assessing oxy-radical metabolism in vivo.
KeywordsManganese Superoxide Dismutase Multistep Carcinogenesis Mitochondrial Manganese Superoxide Dismutase Metabolic Predisposition Immunoreactive SODs
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Oberley LW, Oberley TD (1986) Free radicals, cancer, and aging. In: Johnson JE Jr, Walford R, Harma D, Michel J (eds) Free radicals, aging and degenerative diseases. Alan R Liss, New York, pp 325–371.Google Scholar
- 3.Troll W, Fenke K, Teebor G (1984) Free oxygen radicals: Necessary contributions to tumor promotion and cocarcinogenesis. In: Fukiki H (ed) Cellular interactions by environmental tumor promoters. VUN Science, Utrecht, pp 207–210.Google Scholar
- 6.Kawaguchi T, Suzuki K, Matsuda Y, Nishiura T, Uda T, Ono M, Sekiya C, Ishikawa M, Iino S, Endo Y, Taniguchi N (1990) Serum Mn-superoxide dismutase: Normal values and increased levels in patients with acute myocardial infarction and several malignant diseases determined by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay using a monoclonal antibody. J Immunol Methods 127: 249–254.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Suzuki K, Sugiyama T, Ookawara T, Kurosawa T, Taniguchi N (1991) High sensitivity to 5-azacytidine in LEC rats, a strain with a metabolic predisposition to hepatitis and hepatoma: Possible involvement of DNA methylation in the expression of cytochrome P-450 and γ-glutamyl transpeptisdase. Biochem Int 23:9–14.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 16.Kawaguchi T, Takeyasu A, Matsunobu K, Uda T, Ishizawa M, Suzuki K, Nishiura T, Ishikawa M, Taniguchi N (1990) Stimulation of Mn-superoxide dismutase expression by tumor necrosis factor-α: Quantitative determination of Mn-SOD protein levels in TNF-resistant and sensitive cells by ELISA. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 171:1378–1386.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar