Consecutive Follow-up Study of the Liver of LEC Rats Before the Onset of Spontaneous Hepatitis
Although the pathological changes in the liver of LEC rats after the onset of hepatitis are well established, the natural history of LEC rats before the manifestation of jaundice remains unresolved. Before the onset of hepatitis, the LEC rat is normal, at least as far as liver function tests are concerned. However, there are some reports that describe the presence of pathological changes in the liver of LEC rats before the onset of hepatitis, i.e., the appearance of abnormally high ploidy nuclei  and nuclear enlargement  in hepatocytes. Since these findings from different individual rats tend to be somewhat fragmentary, it seems worthy to assess whether such pathological findings are observed consistently in the liver of the same LEC rat throughout its life course before the onset of hepatitis. Therefore in this study, we designed a prospective follow-up study of the liver of LEC rats using consecutive needle biopsies. Much attention was placed on the ultrastructural changes in the nuclei in light of the abnormalities in the ploidy and nuclear size which have previously been reported.
KeywordsNucleolar Organizer Region Smooth Endoplasmic Reticulum Bile Canaliculus Liver Biopsy Specimen Granular Component
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Dempo K, Oyamada M, Fujimoto Y, Takahashi H, Satoh M, Hattori A, Mori M (1988) Pathological changes of the liver in LEC rats with hereditary hepatitis. J Toxicol Pathol 1:53–60.Google Scholar
- 3.Sakamoto H, Kamimura Y, Takahashi H, Nagai H, Yamaguchi T, Inaoka K, Minase T, Mori M (to be published) Sequential ultrastructural observations of the liver of LEC rats before the onset of hereditary hepatitis. J Clin Electron Microscopy 23.Google Scholar
- 4.Zimmerman HJ (1978) Hepatotoxicity. In: Lesions seen by electron microscopy. Appleton-Century-Crofts, New York pp 80–84.Google Scholar
- 10.Dimova RN, Gajdardjieva KC, Dabeva MD, Hadjiolov AA (1979) Early effects of D-galactosamine on rat liver nucleolar structures. Biol Cell 35:1–10.Google Scholar
- 13.Minase T, Piao Zhe-Si, Takahashi H, Hattori A, Mori M, Yokoyama S (1989) Ultrastructural changes of the liver in LEC rats with hereditary hepatitis. J Clin Electron Microscopy 22:783–784.Google Scholar
- 14.Schaffner F, Popper H (1975) Electron microscopy in the liver. In: Shiff L (ed) Diseases of the liver, 4th edn. Lippincott, Philadelphia, pp 51–86.Google Scholar
- 16.Li Y, Togashi Y, Sato S, Emoto T, Kang J-H, Takeichi N, Kobayashi H, Kojima Y, Une Y, Uchino J (to be published) Spontaneous hepatic copper accumulation in LEC rats with hereditary hepatitis: A model of Wilson’s disease. J Clin Invest.Google Scholar