An external coil is often used when MRI of the orbital region is performed. The effectiveness of MRI in the orbit is comparable to that of CT, but MRI allows a freer creation of images and also demonstrates structures more clearly.
KeywordsCavernous Hemangioma Intraocular Foreign Body Orbital Myositis Orbital Disease Left Optic Nerve
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Atlas SW, Grossman RI, Savino JP, Sergott RC, Schatz NJ, Bosley TM, Hackney DB, Goldberg HI, Bilaniuk LT, Zimmerman RA (1987) Surface coil MR of orbital pseudotumor. AJNR 8: 141–146Google Scholar
- Fries PD, Char DH, Norman D (1987) MR imaging of orbital cavernous hemangioma. JCAT 11: 418–421Google Scholar
- Kato T, Sawada S, Shikaura S, Uda N, Kawa S, Tanaka Y, Miki H, Yamanouchi Y, Inagaki R (1988) MR imaging of orbital blow-out fractures. Progress in Computerized Tomography 10: 93–97 (English abstract)Google Scholar
- Kelly WM, Paglen PG, Pearson JA, San Diego AG, Soloman MA (1986) Ferromagnetism of intraocular foreign body causes unilateral blindness after MR study. AJNR 7: 743–245Google Scholar
- Li KC, Poon PY, Hinton P, Williansky R, Pavlin CJ, Hurwitz JJ, Buncic J, Henkelman RM (1984) MR imaging of orbital tumors with CT and ultrasound correlations. JCAT 8: 1039–1047Google Scholar
- Lloydd GAS (1987) The orbit and eye. In: Sutton D (ed) A textbook of radiology and imaging, 5th edn. Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh, ppl316–1841Google Scholar
- Mafee MF, Peyman GA, Grisolano JE, Fletcher ME, Spigos DG, Wehrli FW, Rasouli F, Capek V (1986) Malignant uveal melanoma and simulating lesions: MR imaging evaluation. Radiology 160: 733–780Google Scholar
- McArdle CB, Amparo EG, Mirfaohraee M (1986) MR imaging of orbital blow-out fractures. JCAT 10: 116–119Google Scholar
- Okabe H, Kiyosawa M, Mizuno K, Yamada S, Yamada K, (1986) Nuclear magnetic resonance imaging of subretinal fluid. Am J Opthalmol 102: 640–646Google Scholar
- Shenck JF, Hart HR Jr, Foster TH, Edelstein WA, Bottomley PA, Redington RW, Hardy CJ, Zimmerman RA, Bilaniuk LT (1985) Improved MR imaging of the orbit at 1.5 T with surface coils. AJNR 6: 193–196Google Scholar