The Effect of Steroids on Endolymphatic Hydrops Induced by an Immunological Technique
Steroids are less frequently used for the treatment of Ménière’s disease compared with their use for sudden deafness or facial paresis. Hauser  reported 2 cases of Ménière’s disease in which hearing was improved by the administration of steroids. McCabe , Hughes et al. [3, 4] and Shea  also reported the efficacy of steroids in cases of sensorineural hearing loss and/or Ménière’s disease with a suspected immunological origin. According to our 1970 and 1980 nationwide surveys [6, 7], incidences where otolaryngologists treated Ménière’s disease with steroids increased from 2% to 7%. It is true that steroids are one of the few drugs which have promising effects on certain types of Ménière’s disease. This study was made to examine the effects of steroids on endolymphatic hydrops experimentally induced in guinea pigs by an immunological technique .
KeywordsSensorineural Hearing Loss Endolymphatic Hydrops Facial Paresis Local Immunization Sudden Deafness
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hauser E (1959) Ménière’s disease; a new therapeutic approach. J Am Geriatr Soc 7: 874–876Google Scholar
- 3.Hughes GB, Kinney SE, Barna BP, Calabrese LH (1983) Autoimmune reactivity in Ménière’s disease. A preliminary report. Laryngoscope 93: 410–417Google Scholar
- 4.Hughes GB, Barna BP, Kinney SE, Calabrese LH, Hamid MA, Nalepa NJ (1988) Autoimmune endolymphatic hydrops: five-year review. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 88: 221–225Google Scholar
- 6.Yagi N, Kitahara M (1972) Treatment for Ménière’s disease (in Japanese). Pract Otol (Kyoto) 65: 923–930Google Scholar
- 7.Kitajima K, Saito H, Kitano H, Kitahara M (1981) The trend of treatment in Ménière’s disease during the past 10 years (in Japanese). Pract Otol (Kyoto) 74: 2396–2405Google Scholar
- 10.Kimura RS, Schuknecht HF (1965) Membranous hydrops in the inner ear of the guinea pig after obliteration of the endolymphatic sac. Pract Oto-rhino-larying 27: 343–354Google Scholar
- 11.Kimura RS (1985) Surgical and drug intervention in experimentally induced endolymphatic hydrops. In: Nomura Y (ed) Hearing and dizziness. Igaku-Shoin, Tokyo, p 16Google Scholar
- 12.Matsubara H (1981) Basic experiment of attacks of Ménière’s disease (in Japanese). Pract Otol (Kyoto) 74: 2418–2449Google Scholar