The Preparation, Processing and Properties of Thin and Thick Films for Microelectronic Applications
In this overview of Bellcore film research, we present seven points: 1) Crystallization of the YBa2Cu3O7-y composition in the “forbidden” temperature region (~400°C to ~650°C) produces the polyphase microstructure because of the rapid crystallization kinetics of the competing (undesired) phases; 2) In the preparation of YBa2Cu3O7-y from BaF2 sources, the importance of reducing the HF partial pressure and increasing the H2O partial pressure for the reaction BaF2 + H2O→BaO + 2HF and the use of SiO2 as an HF scavenger is shown; 3) Pulsed laser deposition of YBa2Cu3O7-y on bare Si at 600°C is shown to produce films with a Tc (R = 0) at 50K, the interposition of a 50nm ZrO2 diffusion barrier increases Tc to 80K; 4) Our progress in determining the target composition for rf-magnetron and ion beam sputter deposition in order to obtain the Bi2Sr2Ca2Cu3Oy phase implies a cation concentration of 5.1-1.8-2.2-3; 5) We argue that target-substrate cation differences in magnetron and ion beam sputter depositions arise from loss due to scattering in the target→film flux related to sputtered-ion velocities; 6) An aqueous-based, sol-gel process useful for the preparation of YBa2Cu3O7-y thick films and the importance of the age of the Y(OH)3 component is described; 7) A glycerol solution technique produces R = 0 at 75K and 95K for the Bi-and Tl-based superconductors, respectively, and the importance of firing time and temperature in controlling cation concentration is presented.
KeywordsThick Film Precursor Solution Glycerol Solution Bare Silicon Yttrium Nitrate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 10.Siu-Wai Chan, B. G. Bagley, L. H. Greene, M. Giroud, W. L. Feldman, K. R. Jenkin, II and B. J. Wilkins, Appl. Phys. Lett., submitted (1988).Google Scholar
- 12.P. Berberich, J. Tate, W. Dietsche, and H. Kinder, preprint (1988).Google Scholar
- 14.L. H. Greene, W. L. Feldmann, Siu-Wai Chan, B. G. Bagley, M. Giroud, B. A. Wilkins, L. A. Farrow, D. M. Hwang, J. M. Tarascon and P. Barboux, Materials Research Society Fall Meeting, Boston, Mass., 1988.Google Scholar
- 15.G. K. Wehrner and G. S. Anderson, in “Handbook of Thin Film Technology” ,edited by L. I. Maissel and R. Glang (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1970), p. 3–20.Google Scholar
- 18.S. A. Khan, P. Barboux, B. G. Bagley and J. M. Tarascon, Appl. Phys. Lett., in press (1988).Google Scholar
- 19.S.A. Khan, P. Barboux, B.G. Bagley and F.E. Torres, to be published.Google Scholar
- 20.E.I. Cooper, E.A. Giess and A. Gupta, Mat. Lett, submitted (1988).Google Scholar
- 21.P. Barboux, J. M. Tarascon, F. Shokooki, B. J. Wilkins and C. L. Schwartz, J. Appl. Phys., in press (1988).Google Scholar