Preparation of High Tc Oxide Superconducting Filaments by Suspension Spinning Method
The suspension spinning of Ln-Ba-Cu-0 (Ln=Dy, Y, Ho and Er), Bi-Sr-Ca-Cu-0 and Tl-Ba-Ca-Cu-0 was examined to prepare a long filament with high Jc. A fine powder of the oxide was suspended in PVA solution containing a dispersant. The viscous suspension was extruded as a filament into precipitating medium and the filament was coiled on a winding drum. The obtained filament about 200 μm in diameter was heated to remove volatile components and to generate the superconducting phase.
The Ln-Ba-Cu-O filament was a superconductor at 84 K and The highest Jc value at 77 K, O field, of 1128 A/cm2 was attained for the Ho1Ba2Cu3Ox filaments. The Jc increased at 2500 A/cm2 by one directional solidification treatment.
The Bi-Sr-Ca-Cu-0 filament was found to consist of two different superconducting phases with Tc values of 110 K and 80 K. The maximum Jc at 77 K was 2 A/cm2. Since T12O3 is chemically instable at the synthesis temperature, the preparation of Tl-Ba-Ca-Cu-0 superconducting filament by this method was not easy because of the side reaction with PVA and volatility from large surface area of the filament. The Tl-Ba-Cu-O filament exhibited the best superconducting properties with an onset temperature as high as 90 K and zero resistivity at 40 K.
KeywordsDirectional Solidification Processing Octyl Phenyl Viscous Suspension Oxide Filament Octyl Phenyl Ether
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Z.Z.Sheng and A.M.Hermann, Nature 332, 10 (1988).Google Scholar
- 5.T. Goto, I. Horiba, M. Kada and M. Tsujihara, Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 26–3, p-1211 (1987).Google Scholar
- 8.T. Goto, I. Horiba, M. Kada and M. Tsujihara, Physica C. 153–155, 800 (1988).Google Scholar
- 9.T. Goto and M. Tsujihara, Proc. Int. Meet, on Advanced Materials, Tokyo 1988.Google Scholar
- 10.T.Goto and K.Takeuchi, Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. to be published.Google Scholar
- 12.M. Onoda, A. Yamamoto, E. Takayama-Muroraachi and S. Takekawa, Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 27, L–833 (1988).Google Scholar
- 13.R.J.Cava, B.Batlogg, S.A.Sunshine, T.Siegrist, R.M.Fleming, K.Rabe, L.F.Schneemeyer, D.W.Murphy, R.B.van Daver, P.K.Gallagher, S.H.Glarum, S.Nakahara, R.C.Farrow, J.J.Krajewski, S.M.Zahurak, J.V.Waszczak, J.H.Marshell, P.Marsh, L.W.Rupp.Jr., W.F.Peck and E.A.Rietman, Physica C 153–155, 560 (1988).Google Scholar