Decubital Ulcers of Pads Induced by Hyperlipidemia in the Rabbit
There have been many hypotheses concerning the pathogenesis of atherosclerosis and no single one has thus far completely been able to explain it. We have noticed a high incidence of ducubital ulcers of the pads during cholesterol-induced hyperlipdemia in the rabbit [1–3]. In the present study, we tried to elucidate the etiological factors of decubital ulcers of pads induced by experimental hyperlipidemia from hemorheological aspects of the cutaneous microcirculation in the rabbit.
KeywordsIntravital Microscopy Lymphatic Capillary Cholesterol Feeding Experimental Atherosclerosis Cholesterol Group
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Asano M, Hirokawa A, Ohkubo C, Ogawa S, Sawanobori K, Yonekawa K (1981) Hemorheological observations on cutaneous microcirculation in cholesterol-fed rabbits. II. Possible association with systemic hematological changes. Proc Jpn Soc Biorheol 4: 162–165Google Scholar
- 2.Asano M, Hirokawa A, Ohkubo C, Ogawa S, Sawanobori K, Yonekawa K, Yotsuya T (1983) Hemorheological observations on cutaneous microcirculation in cholesterolfed rabbits: IV. Relationships between macro- and microcirculatory behaviors of blood cells and decubital ulcers of paws during chronic hyperlipidemia. Proc Jpn Soc Biorheol 6: 147–150Google Scholar
- 3.Asano M, Ohkubo C, Hirokawa A, Sasaki A, Ogawa S, Sawanobori K (1985) Cutaneous microcirculatory changes during dietary-induced hyperlipidemia in rabbits—Possible roles in development of decubital unlers of pads. In: Tsuchiya M, Asano M, Oda M, Okazaki I (eds) Microcirculation Annual 1985. Excerpta Medica, Amsterdam, pp 338–334Google Scholar
- 4.Asano M, Yoshida K, Tatai K (1962) On in vivo observation of the behavior of microcirculation by the rabbit ear chamber technique. Seitai No Kagaku 13: 285–294Google Scholar
- 5.Ohkubo C, Asano M (1985) Changes in the adhesiveness of leukocytes during development of experimental atherosclerosis in the rabbit. In: Tsuchiya M, Asano M, Oda M, Okazaki I (eds) Microcirculation Annual 1985. Excerpta Medica, Amsterdam, pp 56–62Google Scholar
- 7.Asano M, Ohkubo C, Hirakawa A, Sasaki A, Tochihara Y, Sawanobori K, Nagano H, Chiba M, Okeda R (1986) Hemorheological studies on the macro- and microcirculation during development of dietary-induced experimental atherosclerosis. In: Isogai Y (ed) Angiopathy in relation to hemorheology-Fundamental and clinical considerations. Hoechst Japan, Tokyo, pp 19–26Google Scholar
- 8.Fowler S (1980) Characterization of foam cells in experimental atherosclerosis. Acta Med Scand [Suppl] 642: 151–158Google Scholar