Elatic Buckling of Plates with Reinforced Square Holes
The finite element method is used to obtain the elastic buckling loads for square plates containing reinforced square holes. The presence of holes in plates produce a redistribution of the inplane stresses and in some loading cases this redistribution causes the elastic buckling load to be decreased. To regain the buckling strength it is essential to reinforce the holes.
In the present paper we investigate the effect of the reinforcement on the buckling load of square plates with central square holes when the plate is subjected to uniform uniaxial, biaxial or shear edge loading. Simply supported plates are considered and the amount of reinforcement required to increase the elastic buckling load to that of the plate without a hole is determined.
KeywordsCircular Hole Total Potential Energy Perforated Plate Hole Size Biaxial Loading
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ritchie, D. and Rhodes, J.: Buckling and post-buckling behaviour of plates with holes. Aeronautical Quarterly, Vol. 26, (1975), 281–296.Google Scholar
- 2.Kawai, T. and Ohtsubo, H.: A method of solution for the complicated buckling problems of elastic plates with combined use of Rayleigh-Ritz’ s procedure for the finite element method, 4th Int.Congress on the application of Mathematics in Engineering, (1968), 967–994.Google Scholar
- 3.Rockey, K.C.; Andersen, R.G. and Cheung, Y.K.: The behaviour of square shear webs having a circular hole. Proc.Int.Conf. on Thin Walled Structures, Crosby Lockwood, (1967), 148–169.Google Scholar
- 4.Pennington-Wann, W.: Compressive buckling of perforated plate elements. Proc.First Speciality Conf. On Cold-formed Structures, Univ. of Missouri- Rolla, (1971), 58–64.Google Scholar
- 5.Sabir, A.B. and Chow, F.K.: Elastic buckling of flat panels containing circular and square holes. In L.J. Morris (Ed)., Instability and plastic collapse of steel structures, Granada, (September 1983), 311–321.Google Scholar
- 6.Sabir, A.B. and Chow, F.Y.: Finite element analysis for buckling of plates with eccentrically located square holes. Proc. of Int.Conf. on finite elements in Computational Mechanics, Bombay, India, December, 1985.Google Scholar
- 7.Sabir, A.B. and Chow, F.Y.: Elastic buckling of plates containing eccentrically located circular holes. Int.J. Thin-Walled Struct. 4, (1986).Google Scholar
- 9.Sabir, A.B.: A new class of strain based finite elements for plane elasticity problems. Proc. of 7th Int.Seminar on Computational Aspects of the F.E.M. (SMiRT-7), Chap. 15, (August 1983), 403–448.Google Scholar
- 11.Sabir, A.B.: The Nodal solution routine for the large number of linear simultaneous equations in the finite element analysis of plates and shells. Finite elements for thin shells and curved members.J.Wiley & Sons, 1976,63–89.Google Scholar