Edge Effect of Hyperbolic Cooling Tower Supported by Column System
The edge effect of hyperbolic cooling tower owing to discrete column supporting system is investigated in detail by using self-equilibrium boundary forces. An automatic term-choose method is suggested to calculate these forces. The stiffness matrix of ‘X’ type column system is given by means of displacement compatibility. According to the numerical results of three sets of tower under different loadings, a uniform formula is suggested to estimate the edge effect.
KeywordsStiffness Matrix Edge Effect Wind Loading Wind Pressure Column System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Gould, P.L.; Liangmao, Z.; Minzhong, J.: Hyperboloids of Revolution supported on columns. J. Eng. Mech. Div., ASCE, vol. 95, No. EM5 (1969) 1083–1100.Google Scholar
- 2.Abu-Sitta, S.H.: Cooling tower supported on columns. (1970).Google Scholar
- 3.Subir, K. S., Gould, P. L.: Hyperboloidal shell on discrete supports. J. Struct. Div. Vol.99, No.ST3 (1973) 595–603.Google Scholar
- 4.Wenda,Lu; Liangmao, Z.; Minzhong,,J.: Wind loading of hyperbolic cooling towers without maridional ribs. Proc. 2-th Inter. Symp. I ASS-RUB (1984) 136–154.Google Scholar
- 5.Wenda, Lu; Jingxin, P.: Finit element solution of the hyperbolic cooling tower suported by column system. Research report of Xian Institute of Thermal Engineering. China. (1976).Google Scholar
- 6.Wenda, Lu; Baoging, L.; Renyi, Lu: The effect of unequal settlement of foundation on the stress resultants of hyperbolic cooling towers and the unequal settlement tolerance limt. Proc. 2-th Inter. Symp. IASS-RUB (1984) 381–396.Google Scholar