Fatigue Analysis of Fixed Offshore Structures Subjected to Random Waves
In this paper, the fatigue behavior of fixed offshore structures subjected to random waves is studied. More specifically, the effect of the bandwidth of random stresses on the fatigue life estimation is investigated. The dynamic analysis is carried out in the frequency domain by using the equivalent linearization technique. Fatigue damages are calculated by two cycle counting methods; i.e., the narrow band method and the rainflow counting method. Numerical results are presented for two different structures. A direct comparison is made between the results obtained by two cycle counting methods.
KeywordsPower Spectral Density Fatigue Damage Offshore Structure Random Wave Fatigue Analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Malhotra, A. and Penzien, J.: “Nondeterministic Analysis of Offshore Structures”, J. of Engineering Mechanics Div., ASCE, 1970.Google Scholar
- 2.Wirsching, P. and Light, M.: “Fatigue under Wide Band Random Stresses”, J. of the Structural Div., ASCE, 1980.Google Scholar
- 3.Kan, D. and Petrauskas, C.: “Hybrid Time-Frequency Domain Fatigue Analysis for Deepwater Platforms”, Proc. of Offshore Technology Conference, 1981.Google Scholar
- 4.Shinozuka, M., Yun, C. and Vaicaitis, R.: “Dynamic Analysis of Offshore Structures Subjected to Wind Generated Waves”, J. of Structural Mechanics, 1977.Google Scholar
- 5.Kuang, J., Potvin, A. and Leick, R.: “Stress Concentration in Tubular Joints”, Proc. of Offshore Technology Conference, 1975.Google Scholar