An Integrated System for Printing and Publishing Applications
This paper describes the architecture of a system, providing an integrated approach to the printing process, starting from the input of the basic components (images, texts, and graphics) up to the definition and modification of page layout and finally to driving high resolution output devices. The system allows an interactive management of the documents to be printed as well as of their elementary components, i.e. the pages, and at a lower level, the boxes, containing texts, images and graphics. The main peculiarities of the system architecture are interactivity, modularity and non-procedurality discussed in more details and some of its functions are illustrated by means of some system outputs.
KeywordsCommunication Module Image Processing System Image Editor Page Layout Printing Plate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Astrahan M. M. et alter (1976) SYSTEM-R: a Relational Approach to Data Base Management. ACM Trans, on Database Systems, vol.1, n.2Google Scholar
- Cavaliere S., Fantini M., Turtur A. (1984) Un sistema per la gestione integrata di testi ed immagini. Proceedings of Computer graphics, CAD, elaborazione di immagini: sistemi ed applicazioni (AÏCOGRAPHICS84), pp. 217–229, Milan ItalyGoogle Scholar
- Cavaliere S, Fantini M., Turtur A. (1984) Text, images and graphics management system for editorial environment. Proceedings of CAMP 84, pp. 493–496, Berl in GermanyGoogle Scholar
- Cavaliere S., Fantini M., Turtur A. (1984) An Image access method for IBM 7350. IBM Technical Report, Rome Scientific Centre G513–4053Google Scholar
- Codd E. F. (1979) Extending the Database Relational Model to Capture More Meaning. ACM Transaction on Data Base System, Vol. 4, N. 4Google Scholar
- Date C. J. (1977) An Introduction to Database Systems. Addis on-Wesley Publishing Company Pearson D. E. ( 1975 ) Transmission and Display of Pictorial Information. Pentech press, LondonGoogle Scholar
- IBM 7350 Image Processing System System Overview. IBM GAI9-5343, available through IBM branch offices, 1983.Google Scholar
- IBM Virtual Machine/System Product: Introduction. IBM GC19-6200, available through IBM branch offices, 1980.Google Scholar
- Graphical Data Display Manager (GDDM): General Information. IBM SC33-0100, available through IBM branch offices, 1982.Google Scholar
- IBM 7350 Host Basic User Subroutines Programming RPQs: Programmer’s Guide. IBM SH19-6298, available through IBM branch offices, 1983.Google Scholar