A Hierarchical Space Indexing Method
Indexing methods are very important for rapid processing of a large amount of data. In this paper we discuss a spatial index, that is, a method for indexing a three dimensional space. We use a regular decomposition of the space, leading to a tree structure. The advantage of a space decomposition method over storing data in the form of a table is the quick access to a point in question by using a leaf node as an index. A set of basic algorithms is presented for generation and modification of objects. This set makes it easy to detect intersections of 3D objects, which is a useful property in such applications as interactive design of three dimensional shapes.
KeywordsLeaf Node Edge Cell Current Cell Boundary Vertex Edge Node
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Carlbom, I., Chakravarty, I., and Vanderschei, D. “A Hierarchical Data Structure for Representing the Spatial Decomposition of 3D Objects,” IEEE CG&A, 1985, to appear.Google Scholar
- 3.Chiyokura, H. and Kimura F. “A Representation of Solid Design Process Using Basic Operations,” IEEE CG&A, 1985, to appear.Google Scholar
- 4.Doctor, L. J. and Torborg, J. D. “Display Techniques for Octree encoded object,” IEEE CG & A, Vol 1, No. 3, July 1981, pp 29–38.Google Scholar
- 5.Fujimura, K., Toriya, H., Yamaguchi, K., and Kunii, T. L. “An Enhanced Oct-tree Data Structure and Operations for Solid Modeling,” Proceedings of NASA Computer-Aided Geometry Modeling, Hampton, Virginia, April 20–22, 1983, pp 279–287.Google Scholar
- 6.Hunter, G. M. “Geometrees for Interactive Visualization of Geology: An Evaluation,” Research Note, Schlumberger-Doll Research, Ridgefield, CT, April 1984.Google Scholar
- 8.Kunii, T. L., Satoh, T., and Yamaguchi, K. “Generation of Topological Boundary Representations from Octree Encoding,” IEEE CG&A, 1985, Vol. 5, March, pp.27–31.Google Scholar
- 9.Mantyla, M. and Sulonen, R. “GWB — A Solid Modeler With Euler Operators,” IEEE CG & A, Vol.2, No.7,1982, pp.17–31.Google Scholar
- 11.Requicha, A. A. G. and Voelcker, H. B. “Solid Modeling:Current Status and Research Directions”, IEEE CG&A vol.3, No.7, Oct. 1983, pp.25–37.Google Scholar
- 12.Yamaguchi, K., Kunii T. L., Fujimura, K., and Toriya, H. “Octree related data structure and algorithms,” IEEE CG & A, Vol.3, 1983.Google Scholar