Continuous Color Presentation Using a Low-Cost Ink Jet Printer
This paper discusses continuous color hardcopies using a low cost color ink jet printer. On the basis of simple fomulae to transform luminous primaries to printing primaries, several dot patterns making gray scales for each color ink are tested. As a conclusion, the rotated regular pattern gives the best visibility when the resolution of the original image is high enough, but random point patterns give more natural images when the original resolution is low. Using the segmented pattern method, the dot matrix size for a pixel can be reduced to 2 by 2 without destroying the expression.
KeywordsRegular Pattern Color Printer Pattern Method Coherent Noise Continuous Color
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Optical Society of America, Committee on Colorimetry. The Science of Color. Washington. D. C., 1963.Google Scholar
- Kubo, S. ALIS Graphics Program Manual (The First Edition), The University of Tokyo Computer Center, 1978.Google Scholar
- Jern, M. The Color Plotting System. Harvard Library of Computer Graphics Vol.2, pp.131–135, 1979.Google Scholar
- Pope, A. The Form of the Color Solid. Harvard Library of Computer Graphics, Vol.6, pp.115–133, 1980.Google Scholar
- Orr, J. N. Matching User Requirements with Hardware Capabilities: Graphic Hard-copy Output Devices. Harvard Library of Computer Graphics, Vol.9, pp.68–73, 1980.Google Scholar
- Gruber, L. S. and Barney, H. Color Computer Graphics and Imaging with Polaloid 8 × 10 PolacolorLand Film and the Dunn 631 Color Camera. Harvard Library of Computer Graphics, Vol.9, pp.47–54, 1980.Google Scholar
- Kobayashi, M. et al. MultiColor and Multitone Ink Jet Printing Method. EMC81-15, The Institute of Electronics and Communication Engineers of Japan, 1981.Google Scholar
- Nishimura, T. et al. Color Processing Method in Color Ink Jet Printer. EMC 82–2, The Institute of Electronics and Communication Engineers of Japan, 1982.Google Scholar
- Kubo. S. ALIS Graphics Program Manual (The Second Edition), The University of Tokyo Computer Center, 1983.Google Scholar
- Nishimura, T et al. Ink Jet Printing of Color Image hy TV Camera Input. IE83-6, The Institute of Electronics and Communication Engineers of Japan, 1983.Google Scholar