Structure and Function of Insect Nicotinic Acetylcholine Receptors Studied with Nicotinoid Insecticide Affinity Probes
The insect nicotinic acetylcholine (ACh) receptor (nAChR) is the target not only for the botanical insecticide nicotine but also for the synthetic nicotinoid insecticides such as imidacloprid (IMI) (Bai et al. 1991; Tomizawa and Yamamoto 1992, 1993; Liu and Casida 1993; Liu et al. 1993, 1995; Tomizawa et al. 1995a; Matsuo et al. 1998). Knowledge of the structure-activity relationship (SAR) of nicotinoids contributes to an understanding of the functional architecture of the nicotinic acetylcholine receptor (nAChR), a generic interrelationship of SAR and target site research applicable to any agrochemical or pharmaceutical. This approach has helped us to understand the action and selectivity of the new and increasingly important synthetic nicotinoid insecticides useful in controlling important pests and in resistance management programs (Casida and Quistad 1998).
KeywordsNicotinic Acetylcholine Receptor nAChR Subunit nAChR Subtype Neuronal Nicotinic Acetylcholine Receptor Torpedo Electric Organ
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- David JA, Sattelle DB (1984) Actions of cholinergic pharmacological agents on the cell body membrane of the fast coxal depressor motorneuron of the cockroach (Periplaneta americana). J Exp Biol 108:119–136Google Scholar
- Kishida H, Sakamoto N, Umeda K, Fujimoto H (1992) Preparation of nitropyrimidine derivatives as insecticides. Jpn Kokai Tokkyo Koho JP04,173,788; Chem Abstr 118, 22251qGoogle Scholar
- Latli B, Casida JE (1992) [3H]Imidacloprid: synthesis of a candidate radioligand for the nicotinic acetylcholine receptor. J Labelled Compd Radiopharm 31:609–613Google Scholar
- March CS, Cattell KJ, Donnellan JF (1982) Pharmacologicaal characteristics of a putative nicotinic acetylcholine receptor from Musca domestica. In: Evered D, O’Connor M, Whelan J (eds) Ciba Foundation Symposium 88: Neuropharmacology of Insects. Pitman, London, pp 118–136Google Scholar
- Takahashi H, Mitsui J, Takakusa N, Matsuda M, Yoneda H, Suzuki J, Ishimitsu K, Kishimoto T (1992) NI-25, a new type of systemic and broad spectrum insecticide. Brighton Crop Prot Conf Pests Dis 1:89–96Google Scholar
- Tomizawa M (1994) Structure-activity relationships of nicotinoids and the related compounds. J Pestic Sci 19:S229-S240Google Scholar