Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy of Gastric Cancer with UFT
Gastric cancer is the most common cancer in Japan. The treatment results for gastric cancer in Japan have been improving over the last two decades, and the 5-year survival rates after surgery have reached more than 90% for stage 1 and 70%–80% for stage 2. The prognosis of patients with stage 3 or 4 gastric cancer is still poor, and 5-year survival rates are about 40% for stage 3 and 5%–10% for stage 4. To improve the treatment results for gastric cancer, a variety of therapies have been applied, with chemotherapy playing the most important role. It is still unclear whether postoperative adjuvant chemotherapy improves survival, although gastric cancer is now considered to be relatively sensitive to chemotherapy compared to that of other digestive organ cancers.
KeywordsGastric Cancer Clin Oncol Objective Response Advanced Gastric Cancer Preoperative Chemotherapy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.Wilke H, Preusser U, Fink U, Gunzer U, Meyer HJ, Meyer J, Siewert JR, Achterrath W, Lenaz L, Knipp H, Schmoll HJ (1989) Preoperative chemotherapy in locally advanced and nonresectable gastric cancer: a phase II study with etoposide, doxorubicin, and cisplatin. J Clin Oncol 7:1318–1326PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Ikeda K, Saitoh S, Koide I, Saitoh S, Koida I, Tsubota A, Arase Y, Chayama K, Kumada H (1995) A prospective randomized evaluation of a compound of tegafur and uracil as an adjuvant chemotherapy for hepatocellular carcinoma treated with transcatheter arterial chemoembolization. Am J Clin Oncol 18:204–210PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Marunaka T, Umeno Y, Yoshida K, Nagamachi M, Minami Y, Fujii S (1980) High pressure liquid chromatographic determination of ftrafur [1-(tetrahydro-2-furanyl)-5-fluorouracil and GLC-mass spectrometric determination of 5-fluorouracil and uracil in biological materials after oral administration of uracil plus ftrafur. J Pharmacokinet Sci 69:1296–1300CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Pazdur R, Lassere Y, Rhodes V, Ajani JA, Sugarman SM, Patt YZ, Jones DV Jr, Markowitz AB, Abbruzzese JL, Bready B (1994) Phase II trial of uracil and tegafur plus oral leucovorin: an effective oral regimen in the treatment of metastatic colorectal carcinoma. J Clin Oncol 12:2296–2300PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 18.Nio Y, Tsubono M, Kawabata K, Masai Y, Hayashi H, Meyer C, Inoue K, Tobe T (1993) Comparison of survival curves of gastric cancer patients after surgery according to the UICC stage classification and the general rules for gastric cancer study by the Japanese Research Society for Gastric Cancer. Ann Surg 218:47–53PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar