Control architecture for an underwater robot society
In this paper a new three layer control architecture for a multi-robot systems is presented. The architecture is tested in an underwater robot society performing distributed operations in closed aquatic environment. In these tests the performance of three and five member societies is compared to the performance of a single robot.
KeywordsControl Architecture Finite State Automaton Cleaning Agent Individual Robot Spherical Robot
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.B. Hölldobler, E. O. Wilson.(1990) The Ants. Belknap Press, Cambridge, Mass.Google Scholar
- 3.H. Asama, A. Matsumoto, Y. Ishida.(1989) Design of an Autonomous and Distributed Robot System: ACTRESS, Proceedings of IEEE/RSJ Int. Workshop on Intelligent Robots and Systems ,283–290.Google Scholar
- 5.M. J. Mataric (1994) Learning to Behave Socially, Proceedings of From Animals to Animats 3 ,(Third Int. Conf. on Simulation of Adaptive Behavior), D. Cliff, P. Husbands, J.-A. Meyer and S. W. Wilson, (Eds.), MIT Press, 453–462.Google Scholar
- 6.L. E. Parker (1994) Heterogeneous Multi-Robot Cooperation, Ph.D.Thesis ,Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Artificial Intelligence Laboratory, MA, MIT-AI-TR 1465.Google Scholar
- 7.T. Balch (1998) Behavioral Diversity in Learning Robot Teams, Ph.D. Thesis ,College of Computing, Georgia Institute of Technology.Google Scholar
- 9.M. Vainio, A. Halme, P. Appelqvist, P. Kähkönen, P. Jakubik, T. Schönberg, Y. Wang (1996) An application concept of an underwater robot society, Distributed Autonomous Robotic Systems 2 ,H. Asama, T. Fukuda, T. Arai, I. Endo, (Eds.), Springer-Verlag, 103 -114.Google Scholar
- 10.M. Vainio, P. Appelqvist, A. Halme (1998) Generic Control Architecture for a Cooperative Robot System, 1998 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, 1119–1125.Google Scholar
- 11.M. Vainio (1999) Intelligence through Interactions-Underwater robot society for distributed operations in closed aquatic environment, Ph.D. Thesis ,Department of Automation and Systems Technology, Helsinki University of Technology.Google Scholar
- 12.P. Appelqvist, M. Vainio, A. Halme (1998) Mechatronical design of underwater sensor/actuator robots for cooperative task execution, Proceedings of Mechatronics’98 ,249 -254.Google Scholar