A Case Study of Second Felling in a Logged-Over Dipterocarp Forest
Dipterocarp forest covers most of the lowlands and hills of East Kalimantan, and 90% of the dipterocarp forest has been granted to forest concessions. Most of the lowland forests have been selectively logged once by the concessions according to Indonesian government regulations. Extensive logging operations have continued since the early 1970s, and as a result a large logged-over forest remains in the lowlands of East Kalimantan. The large wildfires in 1982–83 accelerated the degradation of the forests in East Kalimantan (e.g., Goldammer and Seibert 1990). The fire damage was especially severe in the lowland forests of the Kutai region, in East Kalimantan, which was one of the main log production areas in the 1970s.
KeywordsBasal Area Diameter Class Lowland Forest Dipterocarp Forest Fell Treatment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Abdulhadi R, Kartawinata K, Sukardjo S (1981) Effects of mechanized logging in the low-land dipterocarp forest at Lempake, East Kalimantan. Malay For 2 & 3:407–418Google Scholar
- Ahrenholz T (1991) Die Erscliessungssituationen bei der Nutzung tropischer imergüner Feucthwälder in Ostkalimantan, Indonesia. eine Fallstudie an einem Beispielbetrieb. Diplomarbeit der Forstw Fäkultat der Georg-August Univ, GöttingenGoogle Scholar
- Fox JED (1972) Logging damage and the influence of climber cutting prior to logging in the lowland dipterocarp forest of Sabah. Malay For 41:326–347Google Scholar
- Jonkers WBJ (1987) Vegetation structure, logging damages in a tropical rain forest in Suriname. Agric Univ, WageningenGoogle Scholar
- Kartawinata K, Abdulhadi R, Partomihardjo J (1981) Composition and structure of a lowland dipterocarp forest at Wanariset, East Kalimantan, Malay For 44:397–406Google Scholar
- Nicholson DI (1979) The effects of logging and treatment on the mixed dipterocarp forest of South East Asia. FAO, RomeGoogle Scholar
- Sist P, Saridan A (1998) Description of the primary lowland forest of Berau. In: Bertault J-G, Kadir K (eds). Silvicultural research in a lowland mixed dipterocarp forest of East Kalimantan. CIRAD-foret, FORDA, INHUTANI, Indonesia, pp 51–73Google Scholar
- Sukardjo S, Hagihara A, Yamakura T, Ogawa H (1990) Floristic composition of a tropical rainforest in Indonesian Borneo. Bull Nagoya Univ For 10:1–43Google Scholar
- Tinal U, Palanewen JL (1978) Mechanical logging damage after selective cutting in the lowland dipterocarp forest at Beloro, East Kalimantan. Biotrop Spec Publ 3:91–96Google Scholar
- Weidelt Hi, Banaag VS (1982) Aspects of management and silviculture of Philippine diptero-carp forest. GTZ, EschbornGoogle Scholar