Fuc-TVI (FUT6) was cloned as a fourth member of the human α1→3/4 fucosyltransferase gene family by Weston et al. in 1992. The enzyme shared 85% and 89% amino acid sequence identity with previously cloned Fuc-TIII (FUT3) and Fuc-TV (FUT5), respectively, and the FUT6 gene encoding the enzyme was shown to be located on chromosome 19, where the genes for FUT3 and FUT5 were known to be located. FUT6 could synthesize Lewis X and sialyl Lewis X, but not Lewis A or sialyl Lewis A. The enzyme turned out to be a “plasma-type” fucosyltransferase, and is known to synthesize the sialyl Lewis X determinant carried by plasma proteins and epithelial cancer cells.
KeywordsEpithelial Cancer Cell Sialyl Lewisx Altered mRNA Expression Fucosyltransferase Activity Fucosyltransferase Gene
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chandrasekaran EV, Rhodes JM, Jain RK, Matta KL (1994) Lactose as affinity eluent and a synthetic sulfated copolymer as inhibitor, in conjunction with synthetic and natural acceptors, differentiate human milk Lewis-type and plasma-type α-1-fucosyltransferases. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 198:350–358PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ikeda N, Eguchi H, Nishihara S, Narimatsu H, Kannagi R, Irimura T, Ohta M, Matsuda H, Taniguchi N, Honke K (2001) A remodeling system of the 3′-sulfo Lewis a and 3′-sulfo Lewis X epitopes. J Biol Chem, in press ([doi] 10.1074/jbc. M107390200)Google Scholar
- Izawa M, Kumamoto K, Mitsuoka C, Kanamori A, Ohmori K, Ishida H, Nakamura S, Kurata-Miura K, Sasaki K, Nishi T, Kannagi R (2000) Expression of sialyl 6-sulfo Lewis X is inversely correlated with conventional sialyl Lewisx expression in human colorectal cancer. Cancer Res 60:1410–1416PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Matsuura N, Narita T, Hiraiwa N, Hiraiwa M, Murai H, Iwase T, Funahashi H, Imai T, Takagi H, Kannagi R (1998) Gene expression of fucosyl-and sialyltransferases which synthesize sialyl Lewisx, the carbohydrate ligands for E-selectin, in human breast cancer. Int J Oncol 12:1157–1164PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Mitsuoka C, Sawada-Kasugai M, Ando-Furui K, Izawa M, Nakanishi H, Nakamura S, Ishida H, Kiso M, Kannagi R (1998) Identification of a major carbohydrate capping group of the L-selectin ligand on high-endothelial venules in human lymph nodes as 6-sulfo sialyl Lewis X. J Biol Chem 273:11225–11233PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Oulmouden A, Wierinckx A, Petit JM, Costache M, Palcic MM, Mollicone R, Oriol R, Julien R (1997) Molecular cloning and expression of a bovine α(1,3)-fucosyltransferase gene homologous to a putative ancestor gene of the human FUT3-FUT5-FUT6 cluster. J Biol Chem 272:8764–8773PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Weston BW, Smith PL, Kelly RJ, Lowe JB (1992) Molecular cloning of a fourth member of a human α(1,3)fucosyltransferase gene family. Multiple homologous sequences that determine expression of the Lewis X, sialyl Lewis X, and difucosyl sialyl Lewis X epitopes. J Biol Chem 267:24575–24584PubMedGoogle Scholar