Large-Scale Cell Culture
The large-scale culture of cells requires the optimization of various factors, such as cell density, cell viability, growth stage, cell nutrition, composition of media, dissolved oxygen concentration (DO), temperature, pH, and osmotic pressure of the media. In addition, the cost of the media is important for industrialization, and in this context, whether the media can be sterilized by heating is important.
KeywordsInsect Cell Bioreactor Culture Perfusion Culture Spinner Flask Insect Cell Culture
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ackermann, M., Hellenbroich, D.H.J., and Jäger, V. (1994) Improvement of the performance of commercially available insect cell culture media for the baculovirus-directed production of recombinant proteins in bioreactors. Cytotechnology 14 (Suppl. 1), 2–8.Google Scholar
- Agathos, S.N., Jeong, Y.-H. and Venkat, K. (1989) Growth kinetics of free and immobilized insect cell cultures. Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci. 97, 372–398.Google Scholar
- Jem, K.J., Gong, T., Mullen, J. and Georgis, R. (1997) Development of an industrial insect cell culture process for large scale production of baculovirus biopesticides. In: Maramorosch, K. and Mitsuhashi, J. (eds) Invertebrate Cell Culture, Novel Direction and Biotechnology Applications. Science Publishers, Enfield, pp 173–180.Google Scholar
- Koike, M. and Sato, K. (1988) Culture of insect cell lines originated from Mamestra brassicae with autoclaved serum-free medium. In: Kuroda, Y. and Kurstak, E. and Maramorosch, K. (eds) Invertebrate and Fish Tissue Culture. Japan Scientific Society, Tokyo, Springer, Berlin, pp 7–10.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Schuler, M.L., Cho, T., Wickham, T., Ogonah, O. Kool, M., Hammer, D.A. and Granados, R.R (1989) Bioreactor development for production of viral pesticides or heterologous proteins in insect cell cultures. Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci. 97, 399–422.Google Scholar
- Shimoizu, H., Naka, Y. and Etou N. (1993) Factors affecting the yield of a baculovirus insect cell system by hollow-fiber culture. In: Kaminogawa, S., Ametani, A., and Hachimura, S. (eds) Animal Cell Technology: Basic and Applied Aspects, Vol. 5. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dardrecht, 355–360.CrossRefGoogle Scholar