Strategy for Treatment of Superficial Esophageal Cancer
The number of patients with superficial esophageal cancer has increased during the last 25 years in Japan, and the clinical result has been excellent. At the same time, the pathological characteristics of mucosal cancer are different from those of submucosal cancer and therefore there is a difference in the treatment. We studied the clinical results of patients with superficial esophageal cancer treated at our hospital, and the strategy for treating superficial esophageal cancer is discussed.
KeywordsEsophageal Cancer Endoscopic Mucosal Resection Stomach Intestine Mucosal Cancer Metachronous Cancer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Japanese Society for Esophageal Diseases (1999) Guidelines for the clinical and pathologic studies on carcinoma of the esophagus, 9th edn. Kanehara, TokyoGoogle Scholar
- 2.Hanashi T, Yoshida M, Takenami T, Momma K, Sakaki N, Takizawa T, Koike M (1995) Clinical evaluation on treatments for mucosal cancer of the esophagus. In: Peracchia A, Rosati R, Bonavina L, Fumagalli U, Bona S, Chella B (eds) Diseases of the esophagus, Monduzzi editore, Bologna, pp 203–207Google Scholar
- 3.Endo M, Ide H (eds) (1991) Endoscopic staining in early detection of esophageal cancer. Japan Scientific Societies Press, TokyoGoogle Scholar
- 4.Iwasaki Y, et al (1993) Pathological basis of endoscopic mucosectomy of superficial esophageal carcinoma. Stomach Intestine 28:125–132Google Scholar
- 5.Ide H, et al (1993) Endoscopic mucosectomy of superficial esophageal carcinoma evaluated by surgical results. Stomach Intestine 28:133–139Google Scholar
- 6.Momma K, et al (1993) Endoscopic mucosectomy for early esophageal cancer. Stomach Intestine 28:141–151Google Scholar
- 7.Makuuchi H, et al (1993) Endoscopic mucosal resection for early esophageal cancer by the EEMR-tube method. Stomach Intestine 28:153–159Google Scholar
- 8.Inoue H, et al (1993) Endoscopic mucosal resection of early esophageal cancer: EMRT and EMRC techniques. Stomach Intestine 28:161–169Google Scholar
- 9.Goseki N, et al (1987) A definition of “early esophageal cancer”: histopathological comparative study with so-called “early gastric cancer:” Stomach Intestine 22:1429–1337Google Scholar
- 10.Endo M, et al (1993) Endoscopic classification of superficial esophageal cancer. Stomach Intestine 22:11343–1349Google Scholar
- 11.Yoshida M, et al (1990) Endoscopic evaluation of intraepithelial or mucosal cancer of the esophagus. Stomach Intestine 25:1059–1066Google Scholar
- 12.Unakami M, et al (1992) Macroscopic evaluation of the depth of invasion in superficial esophageal cancer. Stomach Intestine 27:139–156Google Scholar