Surgical treatment of thoracic myelopathy is not always rewarding. Several authors have reported poor results related to posterior decompressive laminectomy [1–3]. The reasons for poor results after laminectomy can be listed as follows: (1) the spinal cord is not expected to shift backward as a result of laminectomy because of the kyphotic curvature of the thoracic spine; (2) impingement on the spinal cord remains unaffected after laminectomy when the lesion is located in the anterior portion of the canal, such as ossification of the posterior longitudinal ligament (OPLL); and (3) progression of the present kyphosis may be the main reason for postoperative neurological deterioration [1–3].
KeywordsSpinal Cord Posterior Longitudinal Ligament Articular Facet Anterior Decompression Thoracic Disk Herniation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kaneda K, Sato E, Higuchi M, Nohara H, Koguma T, Honma S, Mitsuzaki A, Fujitani M (1981) Thoracic spinal canal stenosis due to ossification of the spinal canal ligaments (in Japanese). Rinsho Seikeigeka (Clin Orthop Surg) 16: 63–74Google Scholar
- 2.Sakou T, Morizono Y, Yoshinaga K, Yone K, Wakimaru K (1985) Results of surgical treatment for the ossification of yellow ligament and posterior longitudinal ligament; thoracic and thoracolumbar spine (in Japanese). Rinsho Seikeigeka (Clin Orthop Surg) 36: 1367–1375Google Scholar
- 4.Fujita Y, Yamamoto H, Tani S, Yamashita H, Otani M, Kondoh M (1986) A study on operative treatments for the throacic myelopathy (in Japanese). Cent Jpn J Orthop Traumatol 29: 286–289Google Scholar
- 5.Nanri Y, Tornita K, Umeda S, Baba H, Sawaguchi T, Yoshimizu N, Yonezama K, Nomura S (1986) Surgical treatment of thoracic myelopathy (in Japanese). Cent Jpn J Orthop Traumatol 29: 283–286Google Scholar
- 6.Ohtani K, Monzoku S, Shibazaki K, Namachi S (1977) Anterior decompression for ossification of the posterior longitudinal ligament of the thoracic spine (in Japanese). Rinsho Seikeigeka (Clin Orthop Surg) 12: 353–359Google Scholar
- 8.Wood GW (1987) Infections of spine. In: Crenshaw AH (ed) Campbell’s operative orthopaedics, 7th edn. Mosby, St Louis, pp 3341–3342Google Scholar
- 9.Capener N (1954) The evolution of lateral rhachotomy. J Bone Jt Surg 36B: 173–179Google Scholar
- 10.Benson MKD, Byrneses DP (1975) The clinical syndromes and surgical treatment of thoracic intervertebral disk prolapse. J Bone Jt Surg 57B: 471–477Google Scholar
- 12.Fiedler MW (1986) Anterior decompression and stabilization of metastatic spinal fractures. J Bone Jt Surg 68B: 8390Google Scholar