Replica Management in Object-Based Systems
Objects are replicated in order to increase reliability and availability of an object-based system. We discuss how to invoke methods on replicas of objects in a nested manner. If a method t is invoked on multiple replicas and each instance of t on the replicas invokes a method u on another object y, u may be performed multiple times on some replica of y and then the replica gets inconsistent, i.e. redundant invocations. In addition, if each instance of t issues a request to a quorum, more number of the replicas are manipulated than the quorum number of the method u, i.e. quorum explosion. We discuss an invocation protocol to resolve the redundant invocation and quorum explosion. We evaluate the protocol on how many replicas are manipulated and requests are issued.
KeywordsRequest Message Redundancy Factor Mobile Transaction Replica Management Lock Manage
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ahamad, M., Dasgupta, P., LeBlanc R., and Wilkes, C. (1987): Fault Tolerant Computing in Object Based Distributed Operating Systems, Proc. 6th IEEE SRDS, 115–125.Google Scholar
- 2.Barrett, P. A., Hilborne, A. M., Bond, P. G., and Seaton, D. T. (1990): The Delta-4 Extra Performance Architecture, Proc. 20th Int’l Symp. on FTCS, 481–488.Google Scholar
- 4.Borg, A., Baumbach, J., and Glazer, S. (1983): A Message System Supporting Fault Tolerance, Proc. 9th ACM Symp. on Operating Sys. Principles, 27–39.Google Scholar
- 6.Chevalier, P. -Y. (1992): A Replicated Object Server for a Distributed Object-Oriented System, Proc. IEEE SRDS, 4–11.Google Scholar
- 8.Gifford, D. K. (1979): Weighted Voting for Replicated Data, Proc. 7th ACM Symp. on Operating Systems Principles, 150–159Google Scholar
- 9.Jing, J., Bukhres, O., and Elmagarmid, A. (1995): Distributed Lock Management for Mobile Transactions, Proc. IEEE ICDCS-15, 118–125.Google Scholar
- 13.Tanaka, K., Hasegawa, K., and Takizawa, M. (2000): Quorum-Based Replication in Object-Based Systems, Journal of Information Science and Engineering (JISE), 16, 317–331.Google Scholar
- 14.Tanaka, K. and Takizawa, M. (2000): Quorum-Based Replication of Objects, Proc. 3rd DEXA Int’l Workshop on Network-Based Information Systems (NBIS-3), 33–37.Google Scholar