Constraints-Based Query Translation across Heterogeneous Sources for Distributed Information Retrieval
In this paper we propose a method for translating queries across heterogeneous information sources with widely varying query forms. First, the query capabilities of specific sources are described while taking into account the information of various constraints. When translating a query from one source to another source, we also sufficiently consider the function and position restrictions of terms, term modifiers and logical operators among the controls in the user interfaces to the underlying sources, so we can utilize the query capabilities of the specific sources as much as possible. In addition, we put forward a two-phase query subsuming mechanism to compensate for the functional discrepancies between sources, in order to make a more accurate query translation.
KeywordsLogical Operator Conjunctive Query Query Model Original Query Heterogeneous Source
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- L S. Adali and C. Bufi. A Flexible Architecture for Query Integration and Mapping. Proc. CoopIS’98, New York. Aug. 1998, pp. 341–353.Google Scholar
- 2.B. Chidlovskii, U. M. Borghoff, and P.Y. Chevalier. Boolean Query Translation for Brokerage on the Web. Proc. 2n d Int’l Conf. EuroMedia/WEBTEC’98, Leicester, U.K. Jan. 1998, pp. 37–44.Google Scholar
- 4.H. Garcia-Molina, W. Labio, and R. Yerneni. Capability-Sensitive Query Processing on Internet Sources. Proc. ICDE’ 99, Sydney, Australia, Mar. 1999.Google Scholar
- 5.Levy, A. Rajaraman, and J. Ordille. Querying Heterogeneneous Information Sources Using Source Descriptions. Proc. 22“d VLDB. Bombay, India, 1996, pp. 251–262.Google Scholar
- Constraints-based Query Translation across Heterogeneous Sources 37Google Scholar
- 6.V. Vassalos and Y. Papakonstantinou. Describing and Using Query Capabilities of Heterogeneous Sources. Proc. 23’d VLDB. Athens, Greece, Aug. 1997. pp 256–265.Google Scholar
- 7.R. Yerneni, C. Li, H. Garcia-Molina, and J. Ullman. Computing Capabilities of Mediators. Proc. SIGMOD, Philadelphia, PA, Jun. 1999, pp. 443–454.Google Scholar