Logic Circuits Using Resonant-Tunneling Hot Electron Transistors (RHETs)
This review paper has focused on the research and development of resonant-tunneling hot electron transistors. It is shown that an InGaAs-based RHET with a thin collector barrier structure improves current gain and peak-tovalley current ratio. RHET basic logic gates, including Exclusive-NOR, and three-input majority gates, and a state-holding circuit are proposed. We used these gates to produce working frequency dividers, a latch circuit, and a full adder. These circuits use fewer transistors than bipolar circuits and dissipate less power because of their lower supply voltage and total current.
In future integrated circuits, delay time due to wires connecting transistors is expected to be more significant than transistor speed. New functional devices, such as the RHET, promise a higher scale of integration giving breakthroughs in the speed and power limitations of conventional integrated circuits.
KeywordsFrequency Divider Logic Circuit Clock Signal Bipolar Transistor Peak Current Density
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Mead CA (1960) Proc IRE 48: 359Google Scholar
- 2.Sze SM Physics of semiconductor devices 2nd edn John Wiley, New York, p 559Google Scholar
- 4.Yokoyama N, Imamura K, Ohnishi T, Nishi H, Muto S, Kondo K, Hiyamizu S (1984) IEDM Technical Digest, p 532Google Scholar
- 5.Muto S, Imamura K, Yokoyama N, Hiyamizu S, Nishi H (1985) Electron Lett, p 555Google Scholar
- 8.Inata Tsuguo, Muto S, Sasa S, Fujii T, Hiyamizu S (1987) Extended abstracts of the 19th conf on SSDM, Tokyo, 1987. Japan Society of Applied Physics, Tokyo p 359Google Scholar
- 10.Takatsu M, Imamura K, Ohnishi H, Mori T, Adachihara T, Muto S, Yokoyama N (1990) Device research conference University of California, Santa Barbara, June 27, 1990Google Scholar
- 11.Imamura K, Takatsu M, Mori T, Adachihara T, Ohnishi H, Muto S, Yokoyama N (1991) Extended abstracts of the 1991 SSDM, Tokyo, 1991. Japan Society of Applied Physics, Tokyo, p 80; Takatsu M, Imamura K, Ohnishi H, Mori T, Adachihara T, Muto S, Yokoyama N (1991) Technical digest of 1991 GaAs IC symposium, Monterey. I000, New York p 95Google Scholar
- 12.Mori T, Imamura K, Ohnishi H, Takatsu M, Adachihara T, Muto S, Yokoyama N (1990) Device Research Conference, University of California, Santa Barbara, June 27, 1990Google Scholar