University Myopia: A Comparison between Scandinavian and Asian Findings
- 91 Downloads
An update is given regarding myopia prevalence in Danish medical students in their 10th term (n=184). The median age was 26 years. There was a slight female preponderance (101:83). Myopia (from −0.37 to −8 D) appeared in 51% of the females and 47.7% of the males. The median myopia was −1.5 D in the series, Among the myopes, 45% had their onset at age 18 years or later. The rather inoffensive data are in keeping with other Nordic reports but quite different from the alarming myopia findings in Chinese students in Taiwan, Singapore, and Hong-Kong.
Key wordsMyopia prevalence University students Adult-onset myopia
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Tscherning M (1882) Studies on myopia etiology ( Danish ). Kobenhavn, pp 29–97Google Scholar
- 2.Duke-Elder S (1949) Textbook of Ophthalmology, vol 1V, Kimpton, London, pp 4313–4345Google Scholar
- 3.Curtin B (1985) The Myopias. Basic science and clinical management. Harper Row, Philadelphia, pp 39–201Google Scholar
- 4.Goldschmidt E (1968) On the Etiology of Myopia. Munksgaard, Copenhagen, pp 115–125Google Scholar
- 5.Cohn H (1903) Die Augen der in Breslau Medicin-Studirenden. Arch Augenheilk 46: 29–48Google Scholar
- 8.Lin LKL, Shih YF, Lee, YC, Hung PT, Hou PK (1996) Chang and its components among medical students. A 5-year forit Sci 73: 495–498Google Scholar
- 9.Goldschmidt E (1998) Epidemiology of myopia: Scandini Experiences. In: Tokoro T (ed) Myopia Updates. Springer, TokyoGoogle Scholar
- 10.Chew SI., chia SC, Lee LKH (1988) The pattern of myopia in men. Singapore Med I 29: 201–211Google Scholar
- 11.Teasdale TW, Fuchs J, Goldschmidt E (1988) Degree of intelligence and educational level. Lancet 10: 1351–4; Act r 41–43Google Scholar
- 12.Fledelius HC (1997) Ultrasound measurement and our understanding of myopia, with emphasis on adult-onset myopia. In: Süveges I, Follmann P (eds) SOE ‘87 Conference Report, Monduzzi Editore, Bologna, pp 939–945Google Scholar
- 16.Muskalski, K (1987): Myopia incidence among students. Int I Adolesc Med Health 3: 55–61Google Scholar