Optic Nerve Disc in Myopic Children with Increased Intraocular Pressure
- 90 Downloads
Optic nerve discs of myopic children with increased intraocular pressure were studied in an effort to find signs which differentiate the glaucoma changes of the optic nerve disc from myopic changes. The authors examined 16 eyes of 8 myopic children with increased intraocular pressure. They performed an extended ophthalmological examination and digital image analysis of the head of the optic nerve with planimetric evaluation. In two patients the neuroretinal rim area was above the standard limit. In three patients a small neuroretinal rim area made the diagnosis of glaucoma probable. In two patients with anisometropia the rim area was smaller in the eye with higher myopia than in that with low myopia. The main factor distinguishing myopic changes of the optic nerve disc from glaucomatous changes is the neuroretinal rim area.
Key wordsMyopia Glaucoma Optic nerve disc Neuroretinal rim area
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Buskirk EM, Cioffi GA (1992) Glaucomatous optic neuropathy. Am J Opbthalrnol 113: 447–452.Google Scholar
- 3.Jeddi A, Osman N, Sebai L(l995) Glaucoma in high myopia. Ophthaimoiogie 9: 470–472Google Scholar
- 4.Jensen H (1991) Myopia progression in young school children: a prospective study of myop a progression and the effect of a trial with bifocal lenses and beta-blocker eye drops. Acta 0pbthalmol Suppl 200 69: 79Google Scholar
- 5.Jensen H (1992) Myopia progression in young school children and introcular pressure. Doc 0yhdúalmnl 82: 249–255Google Scholar
- 7.LiumouB(1989)ZurBcmómmungú rnab, Groheoinoo bjektesxu[dcwBüuto,gmudd,s lebenden Aunges. Küu.Mooætshl Augenheilkd 180: 286Google Scholar
- 8.Pruett RC (1988) Progressive myopia and intraocular pressure: what is the linkage? Acta Ophthalmnl Suppl l85:ll7-l27Google Scholar
- 10.Spaeth GL (1992) Development of glaucomatous changes of the optic nerve. In: Varma R, Spaeth GL (eds) Optic nerve in glaucoma. Philadelphia, Lippincott, 1992, 79Google Scholar
- 11.Stuart-Black Kelly T (1980) The arrest and prophylaxis of expansion glaucoma (myopia). Doc Ophthalmol 28: 249–253Google Scholar
- 12.Young FA (1980) Intraocular pressure dynamics associated with accommodation. Doc OphthalmolGoogle Scholar